Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im sure we are all aware how dangerous feeding chocolate to the dogs can be - have a look at this extremely useful website with a interactive table showing just how much ) chocolate it takes to make dogs of different weights seriously ill
this site helps you understand the different levels of risk of different types of chocolate, related to the weight of the dog, and thus whether you need to seek immediate veterinary help if your pooch gets hold of some.

please have a look here for rest of the breeds (or look accordingly to weight if your breed is not listed)
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive.html

here is guidance for a bulldog x

ddd.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for posting this Pati… I hope that Wally never gets ahold of any chocolate, but you never know w/these guys!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info! So if I'm reading this right, white chocolate is not as dangerous, and cocoa is very dangerous, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Great info! So if I'm reading this right, white chocolate is not as dangerous, and cocoa is very dangerous, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes basically the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine (what is poisonous for dogs ) it contains.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
No thanks to someone in my house I almost had a chocolate scare last night. Good info.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Pati.... Great info to have on hand!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for the information Pati. This is great. I knew that chocolate was poisonous to dogs, and we had a scare with Blossom two years ago. My Grandson had a bag of penny candies from Bulk Barn, there were gummy bears, gummy worms, sour keys, sour watermelons, fuzzy peaches, and a bag of Maltesers. Hubby was working midnight shift at the time, and had come home early in the morning, we took the dogs out for potty and fed them, and it was my day off, so we went back to bed to sleep in a bit. We heard a rustling of bags downstairs, and thought something was in the garbage. Hubby thought it was the cat, but she had never gone into the garbage before. We went downstairs, and saw that Blossom had found the bag of candies in the magazine rack, she had inhaled every piece of candy, and left the bags behind. How she managed that I don't know? I picked her up, and we got in the car, and drove directly to the vets, which wasn't even open yet, we waited the half hour until it opened and the receptionist said you don't have an appointment today. I told her what happened and they took her into a room right away. The vet felt her tummy and said it was very full, and she put some drops in her eye that made her throw up. She threw up 5 bowls of penny candy, and then all of her kibble from breakfast. The vet said she had never seen so much candy come out of a dog. I was freaking out and was so worried about the chocolate, but it turned out the gummy candies were much more dangerous to her than the chocolate. The vet explained to us that since she didn't chew the candy, but basically just inhaled it, and it came out the same way it went in, that it would have congealed in her tummy in a big ball and would have caused an obstruction, she said that the Maltesers are milk chocolate, and are only coated, the inside is malted milk candy. Milk chocolate would probably have given her an upset stomach, and diarrhea, but wouldn't have hurt her, but if it was dark chocolate, cooking or Bakers chocolate, or Cocoa, then that could kill her. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous. She was fine afterwards, and the vet said she threw up everything in her stomach, because the last thing to come out was her kibble from breakfast, which was what she ate first, so that meant her stomach was completely empty. She didn't even get a tummy ache, or diarrhea. I just got a bill for $130, but she was fine.

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] since our time before last foster who would littlelary try to get a food that was going into your own mouth (it was quite scary especially with Olivia being so young at the time) and eating whatever she could find on the worktop or bottom draws (she could open them too ) we have a problem with Shy nicking food -amount of times we been to the vet cos she eat sweets or random stuff is unbelievable xxx

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.