Am I over feeding???

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
My puppy just turned 5 months old and I'm feeding her Natures Variety Instinct (grain free) chicken formula 3/4 around 8am and 3/4 around 6 pm. She has really loose stools and I thought it was the treats that she would have but I stopped giving her those treats 2 weeks ago. How much did your bulldog eat at that age? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a couple members to help, but I think it might be the protein source...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't think it's the amount of food you are feeding, but more the brand or protein source you are feeding. You mention that you feed Natures Variety chicken formula. Many EB's are allergic or sensitive to chicken. I have a female named Blossom who is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We switched her foods 4 times before we found one that she tolerated. We feed our guys Fromm's Beef Fritatta, and bothour guys do really well on this food. We fed our guys 1 cup of puppy kibble 3 times a day until they were 7 months old, and then switched to an adult formula and reduced their feedings to 1 cup of kibble twice a day. When you do a switch, it's best to do a slow transition over 2 weeks, and it can take up to a month to see an improvement or benefit from the new food, as it takes this long for the old food to leave their system. Visit the Home page and read the Dog Food Ratings.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
At that age my butterball ate 3 cups per day, spread out over 3 feedings. Every dog is different, but it doesn't sound like you're overfeeding to me. I had similar issues with his stool at certain points. Giving him a tiny bit of canned pumpkin (the natural stuff, 100% pumpkin puree with nothing added) can help firm it up. However, I had the best results when I switched to a grain free food that doesn't contain chicken. I'm not familiar with your food, but I feed Fromm's and my guy loves it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
At that age my butterball ate 3 cups per day, spread out over 3 feedings. Every dog is different, but it doesn't sound like you're overfeeding to me. I had similar issues with his stool at certain points. Giving him a tiny bit of canned pumpkin (the natural stuff, 100% pumpkin puree with nothing added) can help firm it up. However, I had the best results when I switched to a grain free food that doesn't contain chicken. I'm not familiar with your food, but I feed Fromm's and my guy loves it.

:goodpost: I agree… sounds like the food may be the issue. Grain free and find another protein source… check out www.dogfoodadvisor for food ratings.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We usually feed 2/3 of the cup 3 times a day , in my opinion there isnt a set feeding amount for bullies as they come in all shapes and sizes ,you just need to monitor intake and adjust the amount if needed-to size and activity level - chubby bully is unhealthy bully
Please keep us updated

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I doubt you are over feeding, how long has this been going on? There are many reasons why your pup could have loose stools, usually it is over feeding, but I don't think that's the case here.

Has she had her stool checked at the vet? It could be a parasite which is also common in puppies. I would not change foods until the vet checks her stool.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I doubt you are over feeding, how long has this been going on? There are many reasons why your pup could have loose stools, usually it is over feeding, but I don't think that's the case here.

Has she had her stool checked at the vet? It could be a parasite which is also common in puppies. I would not change foods until the vet checks her stool.

Good post ! I was just about to edit mine asking if pup is wormed regularly (every 3 months) xx

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Yeah youre not over feeding , as mentioned above you should probably get her poop tested for parasites, if negative you might wanna switch the protein source.

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka

Her stool was checked about 3 wks ago and the vet said she was perfect. It's been going for about 3 days. She's been on this diet since she was 8 wks old and now she's 20 wks old

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Her stool was checked about 3 wks ago and the vet said she was perfect. It's been going for about 3 days. She's been on this diet since she was 8 wks old and now she's 20 wks old

:hmm: well it could be obstruction, or she may have picked up a parasite the last few weeks. Did you just get a new bag of food?

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
:hmm: well it could be obstruction, or she may have picked up a parasite the last few weeks. Did you just get a new bag of food?

I've had the bag but I'm starting to think it can be a obstruction like you mentioned. She used to love to play and chew with the training pads

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.