Suddenly a picky eater....any tips?

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
Bosco has been on Fromm 4 star pork and peas for several months now. Since the day he came home, he has been a little piggy who WOLFS down his food within mere seconds. He has always acted like he's never been fed before when he sees food. We actually had to invest in a flat feeding bowl to slow down his eating!

So in the last month-ish we have also been giving him satin balls as treats - containing raw beef, eggs, and a bunch of other nutritious things - as a nutritional supplement and to help him put on weight (He's a really lean bully and extremely energetic and could use a few extra lbs). He absolutely loves these.

However, in the past couple of weeks I've noticed something really odd. He seems to be grossed out by his Fromm food. Whenever it's served to him, he takes a few of nibbles and walks off. He never finishes his food anymore. He seems to only finish it if I mix it with something else, like cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

This is extremely odd and uncharacteristic of our little piggy. I don't think he has any health issues, because he will happily wolf down any other food we offer him (including the satin balls). It just seems like he doesn't like his Fromm anymore...or that he's developed an acquired taste all of a sudden.

Has anyone had any similar issues? How did you solve this problem? My husband thinks he's just being his usual stubborn self and says we should not change his food.

:mellow:

schak

Oct 14, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Margie
We had this issue with a previous bulldog.
By any chance do you store the food in a plastic container?

Bosco has been on Fromm 4 star pork and peas for several months now. Since the day he came home, he has been a little piggy who WOLFS down his food within mere seconds. He has always acted like he's never been fed before when he sees food. We actually had to invest in a flat feeding bowl to slow down his eating!

So in the last month-ish we have also been giving him satin balls as treats - containing raw beef, eggs, and a bunch of other nutritious things - as a nutritional supplement and to help him put on weight (He's a really lean bully and extremely energetic and could use a few extra lbs). He absolutely loves these.

However, in the past couple of weeks I've noticed something really odd. He seems to be grossed out by his Fromm food. Whenever it's served to him, he takes a few of nibbles and walks off. He never finishes his food anymore. He seems to only finish it if I mix it with something else, like cottage cheese or plain yogurt.

This is extremely odd and uncharacteristic of our little piggy. I don't think he has any health issues, because he will happily wolf down any other food we offer him (including the satin balls). It just seems like he doesn't like his Fromm anymore...or that he's developed an acquired taste all of a sudden.

Has anyone had any similar issues? How did you solve this problem? My husband thinks he's just being his usual stubborn self and says we should not change his food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

The great thing about the Fromm grain-free line.... you can easily switch flavors without a transition. I go back-n-forth between Pork and Peas, Lamb and Lentils and Beef Fritatta. He can also be like this becasue he wants that 'topper', which you can give him daily no reason not to. My two get a spoon of yogurt and a few frozen green beens with each meal

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
How old is Bosco now? Sometimes their eating habit change as their growth tapers off. Ruckus used to devour his food in seconds, but now he still eats a similar amount, but grazes periodically.

OP
BoscosMom

BoscosMom

Jul 29, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco
He's 14 months now. I thought that he also might have just "matured" and slowed down his eating - but I think it's a little too coincidental that he's done that around the same time that we started feeding him satin balls...

This morning was terrible, right before we were taking him to daycare, he wouldn't touch his food! I mixed it with yogurt and he reluctantly ate half of it, then left the rest. Poor piggy mustve starved all day.

I kept him on pork and peas because it's chicken free and I think Bosco has a bit of a chicken allergy - but now that Fromm has released a Lamb and Lentils formula I'm going to buy a bag of that and try to see if that makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

We had this issue with a previous bulldog.
By any chance do you store the food in a plastic container?

We don't store it in a plastic container, we actually just put it in an old smalll 4 lb. Fromm food bag when we keep it indoors.

Does plastic make a difference?

schak

Oct 14, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Margie
For what it's worth ...

http://www.yourolddog.com/2071/dog-food-storage/

He's 14 months now. I thought that he also might have just "matured" and slowed down his eating - but I think it's a little too coincidental that he's done that around the same time that we started feeding him satin balls...

This morning was terrible, right before we were taking him to daycare, he wouldn't touch his food! I mixed it with yogurt and he reluctantly ate half of it, then left the rest. Poor piggy mustve starved all day.

I kept him on pork and peas because it's chicken free and I think Bosco has a bit of a chicken allergy - but now that Fromm has released a Lamb and Lentils formula I'm going to buy a bag of that and try to see if that makes a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't store it in a plastic container, we actually just put it in an old smalll 4 lb. Fromm food bag when we keep it indoors.

Does plastic make a difference?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.