Calling all Fromms feeders!

dunky

May 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Allie
Hey everyone!

After doing some research on this site, and being generally unhappy with how my dogs are doing on their current food, I decided I'm going to switch the herd to Fromms. I live about 30 miles away from the closest dealer listed on their website so I'm a bit nervous about the switch. My question is, do most people just feed one variety or is it okay to rotate? Do you have to go through the "adjustment" phase between varieties like when switching from brand to brand? Also what makes you decide which type you like "best"?

I purchase 4-4lb bags of the grain free varieties (beef, lamb, surf & turf, and pork & peas) online yesterday. Ideally I'd like to be feeding Allie and my 3 frenchies all the same type of food. The main problem I'm having with my current food (Whole Earth Farms chicken and turkey) is they all seem to be having loose stools, have gained weight, and I'm noticing much more issues with allergies in my frenchies.

Just because, here's a pic of Allie in her "socks of shame". She's got interdigital cysts on both feet now and the socks were to get her to quit licking the meds off. She was quite upset with me over this and spent a solid 30 minutes pouting lol.

IMG_0750_zps93bdbbe4.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have to order Fromm's online as well, and I have used PetFlow w/absolutely NO issues!!! Plus I get free shipping so that helps… LOL You can rotate varieties on Fromm's, but obviously give them a couple of weeks to look for reactions. When you switch initially to Fromm's you need to go slow… I would pace it out over at least a week to 10 days if possible. Sometimes w/the loose stools it could be that you need to cut back on the food portions. You can also give them some pure pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to help firm up the stools.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can rotate between all of the 4 star grain free without the transition time. Like Tracey said when you first switch over you have to do the transition time though. It's a GREAT thing you are getting them all off of Chicken, so many problems with bullies and chicken.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have to order Fromm's online as well, and I have used PetFlow w/absolutely NO issues!!! Plus I get free shipping so that helps… LOL You can rotate varieties on Fromm's, but obviously give them a couple of weeks to look for reactions. When you switch initially to Fromm's you need to go slow… I would pace it out over at least a week to 10 days if possible. Sometimes w/the loose stools it could be that you need to cut back on the food portions. You can also give them some pure pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to help firm up the stools.

:up:

I switch between Pork and Peas, Lamb and Lentils and Beef Fritatta..... and they love all three flavors.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have all the flavors minus the surf and turf and switch it up all the time woth no issues. Sometimes we feed one flavor for breakfast and a different one for dinner.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dunky

May 31, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Allie
Thanks for the responses! I never realized quite how bad chicken is for bullies until I joined here. The food they are on now is the first time I've ever tried feeding it (been switching every few months lately trying to find something that my baby boy frenchie does well with) and I definitely will not be feeding chicken food ever again! They are already on grain free, so I figured I'd do a 2 week transition to which ever flavor they show the most interest in first. I'm okay with keeping a couple flavors on hand at all times since they can be switched out so easily. I was leaning more towards the pork & peas and lamb & lentil based on the reviews here, but I went ahead and got all four since I needed to get that $49 for free shipping!

I'm planning on making the trip to the 2 places that do carry it around here this weekend so I can see what all they carry and the prices. I'm perfectly fine with buying from petflow, I just like to know my options lol.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi you've received great advice already from everyone above. We also switched to Fromm's Beef because the breeder was feeding them Royal Canin, and we had loose poop issues as well. I knew the Royal Canin was not a good food choice, due to fillers and corn, but then we realized that Blossom was allergic or sensitive to chicken based foods, she had pink skin, pink warm ears, goopy eyes, red chin, itchy skin and she was licking her paws. We did a slow transition, and we did try the salmon formula once, but she got the same reaction from this food, so we went back to the Fromm's Beef Frittata, both my guys do really well on this food and we haven't had any issues for the past two years. I haven't tried any of the other flavours, because I'm afraid to change in case Blossom has a reaction. I hope your guys like the Fromm's, and that you have success and they tolerate the new food. It can take up to a month to see any differences, benefits, or improvements from the new food, as it can take this long for the old food to leave their system.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
We switched Bodie from Merrick to Fromms with only a couple transition days, but he's never really had any issues when switching from one food to another. We've been on the Pork&Peas for a while now. He really likes it, especially with coconut oil on it!! But we are still dealing with allergies and skin issues..pink itchy inflamed skin with sores, goopey eyes, and yucky ears, along with yeasty nose rope and tail pocket! I don't know if we'll ever be able to get Bodie completely cleared up and remain that way for more than a couple of weeks...tears...we were lucky enough to be chosen at our local vet for Apoquel, however in 2 days we will have been on it for the 2 week starter and we've not really seen any improvement at all. He's actually continuing to get new sores everyday!! Sorry for getting a little sidetracked!! Anyway, we do really like Fromms! We live in eastern NC and unfortunately we don't have any retailers who sell it so we're going to have to order online also, which I always worry about whether or not we'll get it before he runs out or if it gets lost in the mail, etc... It has seemed to last us quite a while though!! We won the 26lb bag for the March Madness photo, and I think we received it sometime in April(?), I split up the whole bag into gallon freezer bags so I could freeze it and therefore kill any storage mites, and we still have 1 gallon bag in the freezer and about 1/3 of a bag that he's being fed from left.
I hope your babies do well on Fromms, it is a great food!!

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance is a frenglish half french half english and we use Fromms puppy food and have had no issues so your frenchies should thrive. Shortly after he turns 6 months will be transferring over to adult Fromm as puppy blend will be to fattening\rich. Another caring parent doing right by their bullies - good on you and give them all a scratch from me

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Fromms makes my poop runny.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant chums poop.

So how long have you been on the Fromm's Jim?!! LMAO!!! :rofl: Breakfast of Champions… ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've tried so many foods but always go back to Fromm. My favorites are beef frittata and the new lamb and lentil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June was on the Fromm puppy before we switched her to Beef Frittata. She has been eating the Surf and Turf for a few months and we just bought a bag of the Game Bird flavor. She also likes Pork and Peas :)

london

Jan 15, 2013
highland indiana
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
london
hi
i feed my dogs avo derm and things have been great. i found a dog food list on the sit somewhere. i have always stuck with one food at a time so im not sure if it really matters if you keep changing. You should know with in a week or 2 if it is the right one. Good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online