I am at lost and not sure what to do!

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I already wrote few weeks ago and got a great advice but somehow I can't get diesels skin to be the way it was!!!
So a little background. I got diesel in February. His fur was amazing . He was being fed eukanuba maintenance . However his stool was a little lose. Since I have two more dogs ( a bully and boxer) and they were good with the food I was feeding them , I slowly changed Diesel over to the same food ( 4health grain free , beef and potato). Then Diesel got his tail removed and was shaved on his back. All was going well till the last two months I believe, when his hair started to come back. He started to be patchy. I thought it was just from the hair growing in but when all his hair was in nicely he had patches all over his back. When I wash him it's all raw ( I have tree oils shampoo but I washed him with medicated shampoo what I got from the vet when he had his tail problems). So I decided with help of you guys, to put him back on eukanuba dog food since his hair was so nice when I got him. At the same time I saw that he had yeast infection and he went to the vet who have him some anti fungal medication. That was almost two weeks ago. His yeast is gone and he doesn't smell anymore as he was before but he keeps losing fur and his patches are getting worse.
What so I do now. I know it can take up to 3 weeks to see a difference but instead it getting any better I think it's getting worse. I also started giving him yogurt and coconut oil. And he is still on the meds for fungal.

So my question is, should I wait longer and keep feeding him the eukanuba or should I try wellness core ocean??? I was told with dogs who have problems to stop feeding them anything what is on land and eats grass or seeds etc.

jydu8u5a.jpg
7ene9y8y.jpg

As you can see in the second pic , it's all crusty. And when I wash him it's all sores.
Also he got back his cyst between his toes!

Please help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We are having the same problem. Patchy hair loss. The vet diagnosed ours as dermatitis and gave us an antibiotic. It will take FOREVER for the hair to grow back....but since then I haven't noticed any new patchy flaky spots.

IMG_1274[1].jpg

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Have you had his skin scraped already? Like what [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] said it could be dermatitis or it could be mites, could be allergy or could be the food. But remember to try one thing at a time to know who the real culprit is. Poor Diesel boy can't catch a break.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
My Rampage was allergic to both beef and potato and would display hair loss and flaky skin when he ate it. I'd try getting him on a different food and see how that does. Ram did really well on grain free fish based food.

Denise Matura

Jun 18, 2014
Jackson n.j
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Its more than likely allergies. I'm having issues too. It seems to start in the early summer. But I've been using the spray, ''vetricin'' which seems to be working. Good luck. And if I can ask, why is it that you cut the tail?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A Food allergy for sure...... cysts and the sore, lost hair -- all signs of bad food for this boy. How long was he on the 4Health?

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Its more than likely allergies. I'm having issues too. It seems to start in the early summer. But I've been using the spray, ''vetricin'' which seems to be working. Good luck. And if I can ask, why is it that you cut the tail?

He had a very bad cork screw tail. It was all raw in there and stuck like death. I got him when he was 3 1 /2 years old and he's been dealing with it since puppy. My vet said the best thing to do is to amputate it. I drove 3h to UGA for second opinion and they said the same thing. So he had the surgery.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Have you had his skin scraped already? Like what [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] said it could be dermatitis or it could be mites, could be allergy or could be the food. But remember to try one thing at a time to know who the real culprit is. Poor Diesel boy can't catch a break.

No I haven't got his skin scraped. I thought that he would be better after I switch him back to the food he was on when I got him since his skin was amazing back then.

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
A Food allergy for sure...... cysts and the sore, lost hair -- all signs of bad food for this boy. How long was he on the 4Health?

When I got him back in February he was on eukanuba maintenance which is chicken and rice. I checked his food around march when he had his surgery to 4health grain free need and potato. Now I changed him back to eukanuba around 2 weeks ago as his skin was so great when I got him. I thought it would get better or at least getting better but It's not! He actually is getting more patches on the site. I know it's allergies because he has the cysts coming up.

I am at lost! Not sure if I should keep giving him the eukanuba and wait a little long since it's been "just" 1 1/2 weeks or just go ahead and get him on wellness core ocean?
He also is still on his anti fungal meds. He won't be done with those till probably another 2 weeks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I got him back in February he was on eukanuba maintenance which is chicken and rice. I checked his food around march when he had his surgery to 4health grain free need and potato. Now I changed him back to eukanuba around 2 weeks ago as his skin was so great when I got him. I thought it would get better or at least getting better but It's not! He actually is getting more patches on the site. I know it's allergies because he has the cysts coming up.

I am at lost! Not sure if I should keep giving him the eukanuba and wait a little long since it's been "just" 1 1/2 weeks or just go ahead and get him on wellness core ocean?
He also is still on his anti fungal meds. He won't be done with those till probably another 2 weeks

Wellness is a good line... Maybe do bland diet fir a week and see hoes he does then decide on another food switch ... Ground beef or turkey and rice or noodles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
I am having the same problem. I just ordered some benzoyl peroxide shampoo to see if it helps. I also give him benadryl.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue also has patchy hair loss. We saw Blue's dermatologist yesterday for his allergy issues and pointed out the patches. She said it was most like an infection that's allergy related (he had a scraping done about 2 month ago and everything was fine). So she she did the same thing that [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] vet did, put Blue on antibiotics. Three weeks worth of them.. ugh.

The vet we went to last week to get his tick removed thought it might be alopecia but she disagreed. Said she sees infections develop all the time in dogs with allergies, and the hair loss is one of the symptoms. Just goes to show how different vets have different opinions..

OP
chaygirl79

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Well I am going to change his food then and see if this helps. If not I guess we will go to the vet AGAIN. And his cysts busted last night. Blood everywhere!!! My neighbor is a er doctor and told me to keep soaking his feet up in Epsom salt.
y5e6anu3.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well I am going to change his food then and see if this helps. If not I guess we will go to the vet AGAIN. And his cysts busted last night. Blood everywhere!!! My neighbor is a er doctor and told me to keep soaking his feet up in Epsom salt.
y5e6anu3.jpg

He is soooo handsome!! I love his coloring, just beautiful! From everything you have been through so far reading your posts, this sounds like an immune system issue. Low immune system will cause skin problems, allergy problems, ect. Epsom salt soaks are great and that's perfect for the cysts to help them heal, now they key is to get immune system boosted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.