Buttermilk...

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Do you give your dog buttermilk? I've read mixed opinions about it online, par for the course, but we always have some leftover after recipes and was trying to find good use for it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have never given my boys buttermilk but I have thought about it too. I would tread carefully since it's dairy and can create GI issues in dogs so if you were to give Herschel some, just give a very small amount. How would you give it to him, like mixed in his regular food? Also, there's lots of recipes to use up your buttermilk: pancakes, red velvet cake, fried chicken :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Not sure about buttermilk. Goats milk is okay though because it's more like "Moms milk" than any other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We were told to give Buster goat's milk when he first found us up until 2 months.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
We use powdered buttermilk. 1 tsp mixed in their food. I heard about it for tear stains & it honestly has worked for us. Daisy looks great (although her stains weren't as noticeable because she is dark around her eyes) & I have already seen a difference in Roscoe. Of course what works for one may not work for others.

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Thanks, everyone. Herschel seems to have an iron gut, thankfully. He has always eaten stuff we would not normally give him in one way or the other. We feed him Fromm but he gets into the other dogs "standard" food, actually seems to prefer it, he eats fruit that has fallen out of trees in the yard and he is quite the sniper when it comes to wayward chopped veggies. We have never had an issue, knock...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
We use powdered buttermilk. 1 tsp mixed in their food. I heard about it for tear stains & it honestly has worked for us. Daisy looks great (although her stains weren't as noticeable because she is dark around her eyes) & I have already seen a difference in Roscoe. Of course what works for one may not work for others.

I didn't know about the tear stains w/buttermilk. I'm going to have to give Tate a few drops and see how he likes it; his tear stains are getting pretty out of hand lately.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.