Other High Fiber Dog Food

CarlaW

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
A few weeks ago, my 11 month old Jake quit eating. It started little by little he would eat less, but when he quit eating at all, I took him to the vet. After blood test and Xrays, it turned out that Jake's belly was full. He wasn't emptying his bowels enough. It's not like he doesn't poop at all, he does, but it turns out that I had given him a pig ear - which he LOVED and inhaled. I had no idea that it can take dogs a week to digest a pig ear and his belly was so full that he just wasn't hungry. Lesson learned - he will never get another one.

Anyway, the vet put him on a high fiber moist dog food for about a week or so (Royal Canin High Fiber) mixed 50/50 with his regular food (Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison). As I don't want another $300 vet bill, the doctor told me that after the wet food was gone, I could just add pumpkin to his food for added fiber to avoid this happening again. FYI: Jake hated the pumpkin. LOL. I went back to the vet and got more of the wet food. She said for a cheaper option, I could add metamucil to his food. My problem, is this........Jake will not eat his dry dog food anymore. If I put dry food down, he walks away. Jake appears to be a little spoiled by the wet food. Ugh. While the dog food is expensive, I was willing to purchase it to keep him healthy, but the vet's office hours aren't convenient enough to keep this up. Petsmart does not carry the high fiber food (only pumpkin and sweet potato).

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Adding water to his food doesn't work either. Ugh....what a stubborn little pup. LOL.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Can you slowly start adding more and more dry dog food into the mix? He's not going to starve, he'll eat when he gets hungry enough.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A few weeks ago, my 11 month old Jake quit eating. It started little by little he would eat less, but when he quit eating at all, I took him to the vet. After blood test and Xrays, it turned out that Jake's belly was full. He wasn't emptying his bowels enough. It's not like he doesn't poop at all, he does, but it turns out that I had given him a pig ear - which he LOVED and inhaled. I had no idea that it can take dogs a week to digest a pig ear and his belly was so full that he just wasn't hungry. Lesson learned - he will never get another one.

Anyway, the vet put him on a high fiber moist dog food for about a week or so (Royal Canin High Fiber) mixed 50/50 with his regular food (Taste of the Wild Venison and Bison). As I don't want another $300 vet bill, the doctor told me that after the wet food was gone, I could just add pumpkin to his food for added fiber to avoid this happening again. FYI: Jake hated the pumpkin. LOL. I went back to the vet and got more of the wet food. She said for a cheaper option, I could add metamucil to his food. My problem, is this........Jake will not eat his dry dog food anymore. If I put dry food down, he walks away. Jake appears to be a little spoiled by the wet food. Ugh. While the dog food is expensive, I was willing to purchase it to keep him healthy, but the vet's office hours aren't convenient enough to keep this up. Petsmart does not carry the high fiber food (only pumpkin and sweet potato).

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Adding water to his food doesn't work either. Ugh....what a stubborn little pup. LOL.

Try putting hot water in the bowl with the dry food and let it sit until it's cool enough on your wrist and put a teaspoon of plain yogurt into it and mix it up real good and see if that works. Good luck and please keep us updated.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Some great suggestions already! I was going to suggest the warm water, mixing it into the kibble so that a "gravy" forms. The plain yogurt..just a dollop, a good idea too. I hope your little one will be 100 percent soon!

Members online

No members online now.