Treats

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Okay, so I have been reading that canned pumpkin is a really good thing to give bulldogs. Is it good for all ages? And how much...about a tablespoon a day? Is it something that is good to give your bulldogs every day?

Also, what are some other safe, good treats for bullys? I am so scared to try anything new...we had so many allergy issues with Bruno. I tend not to stray from his Fromm salmon and veg food, fromm salmon and veg treats, and peanut butter. I would like to branch out a bit, as I'm sure my boys would like me to as well!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm not sure if its good for ALL ages but I know [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] has been her pups canned pumpkin for a while and they are puppies (use pure pumpkin not the pie filling). For my Samson I just give him a heaping spoon full, I don't measure it actually. I'm sure everyday is ok but I am confident to say that every other day is definitely fine.

Well that all depends on what his allergies are. I have to be grain free and I try to avoid chicken with him so I have limited options myself.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Since the vet said Frank was getting "a little TOO healthy", we have tried treats of frozen green beans and small pieces of carrot,which he loves. I also read that a small amount of yogurt can be good (I am assuming just plain or greek yogurt) but we haven't tried that yet. I was thinking of freezing the yogurt and giving it to Frank as a treat sometimes. His stomach has been pretty finicky, so we are trying various healthy options. I would also love to know of any other kinds of treats people have had good experiences with.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we give lex carrots eggs table spoon of cottage cheese and yogurt.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
yes yogurt, cottage cheese pumpkin all in 1 tbsp amounts per day or so. Not exactly measured but I use the large spoon for measuring here. May not want to give all everyday but to add in as snacks every day to every other day would be good. Also look into the fromm treats, they would have most the same ingredients as the food so it would be a good snack. Any fruits aside from grapes and raisins of course are good in small amounts also, along with the veggies.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I give my dogs eggs, banana's, oatmeal (rarely), carrots, I also buy the dehydrated lambs lungs, beef liver, etc...

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Those of you who give eggs: Do you just scramble them? How much and how often?

Pumpkin is great stuff! I got my girls started on it about 4 months ago. I don't give it everyday. I mix in about a tablespoon with their breakfast. On the days that they don't have pumpkin, they get yogart or cottage cheese, or sometimes some combonation of two of those three things (depends on what I have and what we've run out of).

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Scrambled, hard boiled, raw whatever I'm in the mood to give them. Just a couple times a month.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Gracie turns her nose up at carrots and green beans. She loves yogurt and cheese. Oh and she would eat apples all day if we let her.
That's all we have tried for her so far.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Gracie also liked plain yogurt. We gave her that after taking antibiotics because yogurt has the good bugs needed for digestion and antibiotics kills off some of those bugs. Heaping Tablespoon a day till the large container of yogurt ran out.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
luckily our guy loves carrots, will try green beans and some apples soon. It was funny the when we brought Guinness to the vet the other day, the vet gave him a dog bone but didn't even touch it and we gave him a carrot and he gobbled it right up.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
wfd38383: I'm surprised Guinness will eat a "piece" of carrot, or even a baby carrot. When my girls were little they just played with baby carrots. The only way I could get them to EAT carrot was to get the shredded ones and sprinkle them on their food. I still do that with their dinner sometimes.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Once a day ... either breakfast or evening we put their FROMM in a bowl and then add a generous tablespoon of natural plain yogurt, topped off with shredded carrot or carrot sticks (seem to only be able to get the carrot sticks from Walmart at the moment but they are just like thick shredded carrot) That's all the dogs ... not just the bullies.

Treats are:-

Baby carrots .. although Maggie is somewhat food aggressive and to make sure the other dogs didn't get her carrot she would swallow it whole and would either vomit it up later, or we'd find whole carrots in her poop. So I now peel a whole carrot and give her that which keeps her quite busy and entertained for a nice length of time.

Frozen green beans.

Frozen blueberries - a new addition to the treats and they LOVE them.

Fresh cucumber - I cut off quite a thick chunk and then cut that in half.

I don't give regular bought treats, however [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] was our Secret Santa-Paws and the bullys got some grain-free treats .... Northern Biscuit grain-free Grilled Bison with blueberries. WOW ... do these dogs love those and I have used them for treats for all my dogs (of which there are 7!!!) and we still have some in the bag. They kinda crumble up which is great cos I can 'spread the love' for longer. Hubby and I have decided to get some more of these treats cos it's nice to give them a more cookie-type treat as well as the fresh/frozen stuff we get them. www.carolinapetpantry.com is where they are stocked.

Hope that helps!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
If you're bully isn't a big fan on veggies like Linus, I recommend EVO Wild Cravings Grain Free Treats. It is $6.99 for a 20 ounce bag that has at least 100 treats in it. They are great because they're grain free, small (so you can give a couple over the course of the day), and a pretty good value. I also buy Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free Biscuits. These are not as good a value - 11 ounces for $5.99 but they come in good flavors like chicken, garlic, cranberry or lamb, carrots, and mint and the dogs really seem to enjoy them. I've also tried Natural Balance Grain Free treats in the Potato and Duck formula and they were good but I found the treats a bit big for my liking. I've also fed the Dogswell's Happy Hips or Vitality jerky treats - which are basically dried duck or chicken - I like those but they are expensive and my bully puppyTruman almost choked on one once, so I didn't buy them again.

I hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.