Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Treats

We give her pumpkin, yogurt, veggies and fruit when we eat it!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Once a day ... either breakfast or evening we put their FROMM in a bowl and then add a generous tablespoon of natural plain yogurt, topped off with shredded carrot or carrot sticks (seem to only be able to get the carrot sticks from Walmart at the moment but they are just like thick shredded carrot) That's all the dogs ... not just the bullies.

Treats are:-

Baby carrots .. although Maggie is somewhat food aggressive and to make sure the other dogs didn't get her carrot she would swallow it whole and would either vomit it up later, or we'd find whole carrots in her poop. So I now peel a whole carrot and give her that which keeps her quite busy and entertained for a nice length of time.

Frozen green beans.

Frozen blueberries - a new addition to the treats and they LOVE them.

Fresh cucumber - I cut off quite a thick chunk and then cut that in half.

I don't give regular bought treats, however @desertskybulldogs was our Secret Santa-Paws and the bullys got some grain-free treats .... Northern Biscuit grain-free Grilled Bison with blueberries. WOW ... do these dogs love those and I have used them for treats for all my dogs (of which there are 7!!!) and we still have some in the bag. They kinda crumble up which is great cos I can 'spread the love' for longer. Hubby and I have decided to get some more of these treats cos it's nice to give them a more cookie-type treat as well as the fresh/frozen stuff we get them. www.carolinapetpantry.com is where they are stocked.

Hope that helps!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

If you're bully isn't a big fan on veggies like Linus, I recommend EVO Wild Cravings Grain Free Treats. It is $6.99 for a 20 ounce bag that has at least 100 treats in it. They are great because they're grain free, small (so you can give a couple over the course of the day), and a pretty good value. I also buy Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free Biscuits. These are not as good a value - 11 ounces for $5.99 but they come in good flavors like chicken, garlic, cranberry or lamb, carrots, and mint and the dogs really seem to enjoy them. I've also tried Natural Balance Grain Free treats in the Potato and Duck formula and they were good but I found the treats a bit big for my liking. I've also fed the Dogswell's Happy Hips or Vitality jerky treats - which are basically dried duck or chicken - I like those but they are expensive and my bully puppyTruman almost choked on one once, so I didn't buy them again.

I hope this helps!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Just a thought on treats. The object of giving treats is well, a 'treat'; reward for something well done, etc etc. Also, we go to great lengths to make sure our babies have the proper diet but if the treat isn't right for them, it is all for naught. I think it would be much better to keep some of their regular food in a treat jar and give that to them for 'treats' I'll bet they wouldn't know the difference and you wouldn't have to be concerned wether the treat was right for them or not. Ive given Gracie a few pieces of Fromm Beef Fritatta for a treat when she was on Surf and Turf .... she loved it. That way she is getting a different taste without really changing her diet.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Every dog is different ..... for Maximus, he gets Cheese. That is a treat he enjoys, but he doesn't get it daily. Due to his Allergies, he can not have any commercially prepared Treats, even the Gluten Free treats give him Diarrhea. He likes Cheese and yogurt. He won't eat vegetables. My VET warned against them due to choking.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Butler
    Likes (Received)

pumpkin, a heaping spoon twice a day when we have it. plain yogurt, cheese, apples, kale, potato, peanut butter... we like snacks.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Belly gets a small scoop of cottage cheese and pumpkin in her food every day at 10 weeks old. The vet said that was great for her and she LOVES it! I started giving it to my Boston who is almost 13 yrs. old and you would think I was giving him the best treat in the whole world. Belly also get's "Now! Grain Free Treats" I've tried carrots, but she just spits them out.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads