Applaws reviews

Valerio De Iaco

May 28, 2014
Hi,
I checked the 5 top recommended food choices on this site but I couldn't find the Applaws make. I came across it yesterday and I thought their ingredients are quite impressive. Their protein% is quite high compared to other super premium dry dog food. Is it bad for the dogs? I attached the composition below. What do you think? Have you ever heard of it?

Composition:
Chicken 66% (from Dried Chicken), Chicken Mince 8%, Peas 8% (from Dried Peas), Potato Starch 6%, Poultry Oil 2.5% (Source of Omega 6), Beet Pulp, Poultry Gravy, Whole Egg (from Dried Egg), Cellulose Plant Fibre, Minerals, Vitamins, Salmon Oil (source of omega 3), Tomato (from Dried Tomato), Carrot (from Dried Carrot) Chicory Extract (F.O.S), Alfalfa Meal, Seaweed/Kelp, Yeast Extract (Purified Beta Glucan 0.1%), Glucosamine, Methylsulfonylmethane, Chondroitin, Carrot, Peppermint, Paprika Meal, Turmeric, Thyme Extract, Citrus Extract, Taurine 1000 mg/kg, Yucca Extract, Cranberry, Fennel Extract, Carob Extract, Ginger, Rosehip Extract, Dandelion Extract, Rosemary Oil Extract, Oregano, Probiotic: Contains E1705 Enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 (SF68: NCIMB 10415) 1,000,000 cfu/kg as an aid in the establishment, maintenance and restoration of a balanced gut flora in dogs.

Additives:
Vitamins: Vitamin A (retinyl acetate) 19,000 IU/kg, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 2,000 IU/kg, Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate) 640 mg/kg; Trace Elements: Sodium Selenite 0.33 mg/kg, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous 3.26 mg/kg, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate 233 mg, Cupric Sulphate Pentahydrate 40 mg/kg, Manganous Sulphate Monohydrate 94 mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 444 mg/kg. ; Natural Antioxidant: Mixed Tocopherols; Gut Flora Stabiliser: E1705 Enterococcus faecium cernelle 68 (SF68; NCIMB 10415) 1,000,000,000 cfu/kg.

Analytical Constituents:
Protein 37% Crude Oils and Fats 20%, Crude Fibres 4.5%, Crude Ash 8.5%, Calcium 1.6%, Phosphorous 1.33%, Carbohydrates <23.5%.

No added artificial colourants, flavourings or preservatives.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry I am not familiar with this dog food brand, hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon to give you some advice and information. I'm not sure about the high protein content, and it is also chicken based, which a lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to. Have you read the dog food ratings on the home page, to see if this brand is listed there?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3:

I have never heard of it, but I tagged a few of the food gurus to help add any insight.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's a little difficult for me to understand since I'm used to U.S labels, but from what I can tell, it seems like a good, high animal protein food.
Basically, a grain free (assuming "cereal" means "grains") chicken formula. I appreciate that most of the protein comes from "dried" chicken (dried meaning "meal" I'm guessing).

I checked out their page and all their formulas are chicken based. If your bullie doesn't have a chicken allergy, there's no reason not to feed them this food.

gonna tag [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] I remember he looking at different foods awhile back. This may be something she's interested in.

OP
V

Valerio De Iaco

May 28, 2014
It's a little difficult for me to understand since I'm used to U.S labels, but from what I can tell, it seems like a good, high animal protein food.
Basically, a grain free (assuming "cereal" means "grains") chicken formula. I appreciate that most of the protein comes from "dried" chicken (dried meaning "meal" I'm guessing).

I checked out their page and all their formulas are chicken based. If your bullie doesn't have a chicken allergy, there's no reason not to feed them this food.

gonna tag @Pati Robins I remember he looking at different foods awhile back. This may be something she's interested in.

They should use other sources of protein e.g. fish, rabbit, beef. It's quite important to switch from a chicken based for example to a fish based diet and with Applaws you can't do it. So, that's a drawback to Applaws. However, I noticed that if you compare it to the orijen's formula there's not much of a difference. Orijen is slightly better but MUCH more expensive. Here's orijen composition
Fresh Canadian Ingredients:
Fresh chicken (boneless) (22%), dried chicken meat (15%), fresh chicken liver (4%), fresh whole herring (4%), fresh turkey meat (boneless) (4%), dehydrated turkey meat (4%) fresh turkey liver (3%), fresh whole eggs (3%), fresh boneless free Zander (3%), fresh whole salmon (3%), fresh poultry hearts (3%), chicken cartilage (3%), dried herring (3%), dried salmon (3%), poultry liver oil (3%), red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-ripened alfalfa, yam, pea fibre, chick peas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach leaves, carrots, red delicious apples, Bartlett pears, cranberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fennel, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary.
Additives:
Vitamin A (15,000 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (2000 IU/kg), iron (40 mg/kg), iodine (3 mg/kg), copper (13 mg/kg), manganese (14 mg/kg), zinc (150 mg/kg), selenium (0.3 mg/kg).

Orijen dog food contains no artificial preservatives, just natural vitamin E.
Calories per kg:
3.98 kcal, incl. 38% protein, 21% fruit & vegetables, 41% fat.

Nutritional Guarantee:
Orijen Adult Dog Food meets the nutritional profiles of the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials).

Analytical constituents:
6.8kg
13kg

proteinfatfibreashcalciumphosphoruschondroitinaminoglucoseomega-3 fatsomega-6 fatscalories that can be burned
38.0 %18.0 %5.0 %8.0 %1.3 %1.0 %1200.0 mg/kg1400.0 mg/kg1.1 %3.0 %3980.0 kcal/kg
38.0 %18.0 %5.0 %8.0 %1.3 %1.0 %1200.0 mg/kg1400.0 mg/kg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just so you know, the animal protein content is similar in both foods. I don't think either is better than the other.

Fresh chicken has a very high water content, you want the food to contain a high percentage of meal, in this case "chicken meal" aka 'dried chicken meat". The organ and muscle meat should not make up most of the protein, nor should the starchy veggies like peas.

The Orijen contains too many different animal proteins for me. If your bulldog has an allergy, you want to narrow it down to what's causing it. Having a variety of animal proteins in one formula makes it very difficult. Also, when a vet recommends an elimination diet for food allergies, they always ask that you try a protein the dog's never been on. Reason for this is they never had a chance to develop an allergic reaction. So I completely disagree with you about the "importance of switching from chicken based to fish". There's no reason to do this unless your dog's allergic to the chicken.

OP
V

Valerio De Iaco

May 28, 2014
Just so you know, the animal protein content is similar in both foods. I don't think either is better than the other.

Fresh chicken has a very high water content, you want the food to contain a high percentage of meal, in this case "chicken meal" aka 'dried chicken meat". The organ and muscle meat should not make up most of the protein, nor should the starchy veggies like peas.

The Orijen contains too many different animal proteins for me. If your bulldog has an allergy, you want to narrow it down to what's causing it. Having a variety of animal proteins in one formula makes it very difficult. Also, when a vet recommends an elimination diet for food allergies, they always ask that you try a protein the dog's never been on. Reason for this is they never had a chance to develop an allergic reaction. So I completely disagree with you about the "importance of switching from chicken based to fish". There's no reason to do this unless your dog's allergic to the chicken.

Thanks for your answer. I don't have a bulldog yet but my bulldog breeder is going to give me royal canin puppy food. I would like to gradually change it as I don't like royal canin. I don't know if she's going to be allergic to any type of protein so I think the best thing to do is to stick to the type of protein that she's fine with but change the quality of the food. Or should I stick to royal canin?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.