Congestion after eating in 11-week-old

LadyVi

May 2, 2014
Northern IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Violet or Lady Vi and Bentley or Lord Bentley
Hello! We brought our bully home one week ago. The breeder had her on Royal Canin food and I transitioned her over to Taste of the Wild which I have my other dogs on. It seems Violet sounds congested after eating. It doesn't seem to bother her as far as activity is concerned. No diarrhea, vomiting or lethargy. She otherwise acts like a normal puppy. Advice?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When you say congested is she coughing like she's choking, or is she congested in her lungs?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Jami, is she only congested after eating, does she have a runny nose as well? Does the congestion sound like its coming from her lungs, or could it be that she is maybe eating her food too fast, and choking a little when she's eating? You mentioned that you just brought her home a week ago, has she seen the vet yet? When I brought my two guys home, our breeder agreement stated that we had to have the pups seen by a vet within 4 days after buying them to have them checked out for any illnesses, heart defects, or genetic defects, otherwise they're guarantee would be void. A vet would be able to check to see if she has a cold or congestion in her lungs, or check to see if she has kennel cough from the breeders. She is young, and puppies can pick up so many things because they haven't had all their vaccinations yet. Congestion in a puppy should be checked out as soon as possible, as it can quickly turn into pneumonia.
I hope Violet is okay, and the congestion clears up. It could be that she just eats too fast, and is causing her to choke a little while eating, but you have to be careful with this too, as she could aspirate food into her lungs and cause aspiration pneumonia. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi. Is there any chance she could have swallowed a small object ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At that age.... congestion would be a vet visit just to rule out any issues

OP
L

LadyVi

May 2, 2014
Northern IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We brought her home Saturday. We live in Northern Illinois and the breeder is in Kansas City, MO and they met us in St. Louis. She was in the car for 4 hours up to St. Louis and then four hours back to our house. We took her to the vet for the breeder guarantee on Monday. The congestion is in her lungs and is there for about 2 hours after she eats and then is gone. She has coughed a couple of times when she was really excited, running and playing. There is no nasal drainage or eye drainage.

As far as swallowing a small object, I am constantly taking rocks out of her mouth when we are outside and it is possible that she swallowed a small rock that I didn't see or get.

I have a call to the vet and waiting to hear back.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, she could have swallowed a rock, these guys are quick. A lot of bullies act like bully goats and eat anything that isn't nailed down. My guy has eaten 4 sweat socks, that's his favourite, a dish cloth, Nerf Bullets, paper towel, pine ones, and a few rocks, all of which he's been able to pass by either pooping them out, it throwing them up. I don't think a rock would cause congestion though, I'm thinking more she either picked up a virus or other bug from the breeder or other litter mates, or she may have inhaled some food while eating. It's a good idea to have her checked out by the vet.

OP
L

LadyVi

May 2, 2014
Northern IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our regular vet is on vacation for the holiday weekend so another vet will be calling us. When I called the tech asked if she eats too fast which I don't think she does but maybe she is. It does seem to go away after a bit and she is acting totally normal with normal puppy antics. I'm just a worry wart mom :)

Thank you for everyones quick replies and I will keep you posted on what the vet says.

Here is a picture of her that I took in my photography studio on Monday. https://www.facebook.com/Photograph...88427359426/10152478489494427/?type=3&theater

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Our regular vet is on vacation for the holiday weekend so another vet will be calling us. When I called the tech asked if she eats too fast which I don't think she does but maybe she is. It does seem to go away after a bit and she is acting totally normal with normal puppy antics. I'm just a worry wart mom :)

Thank you for everyones quick replies and I will keep you posted on what the vet says.

Here is a picture of her that I took in my photography studio on Monday. https://www.facebook.com/Photograph...88427359426/10152478489494427/?type=3&theater

I hope she is OK pls let us know what it is and what they tell you to do for it. hope she gets better soon.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww that picture is so adorable. You take beautiful pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww that picture is so adorable. You take beautiful pictures.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow what a beautiful shot, I hope the vet will take a look at her.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Wow you are very talented. Those pictures you took are beautiful. Love her outfit too.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

OP
L

LadyVi

May 2, 2014
Northern IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the compliments :blush:

We went for a quick check up and everything is good with her. I had her eat a little prior so he could hear the congestion. The congestion is in her throat and not her lungs. She has some increased saliva which causes a "rattling" or the congestion sound. Thank you all for your concern of her. He said as long as she is acting normal, eating and not vomiting that there is no concern for it and she will outgrow it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That's great news. Glad it wasn't anything serious. Now you can relax and enjoy your long weekend.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.