not eating his food

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
hello i was wondering if anyone had any suggestion to help my dog increase his appetite. i have taken him to the vet and each time i take him he has lost weight. i did move recently which the vet says is the reason why he is not eating. but i have taken him twice and again each time i take him he weights less. he did have runny poop and he gave me medication for that and he doesn't have runny poop but he didn't give me anything for him not eating. i am feeding him blue wilderness witch i think is a good quality food.he still drinks water and plays with my other dog.the other dog is just eating fine and i assume has adjusted to the move. from what the vet told everything is ok he doesn't have anything wrong with him he just needs to adjust. i moved in to my new place on 5/01/2014 and its already going to be a full month and he doesnt really eat at all.i feed him twice a day 1 cup and a half.any help would be appreciated thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The move could definitely do this, especially to a Bulldog as they are routine addicts and some what OCD..... add some frozen green beans or plain yogurt to see if he'll eat more.

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
so i added yogurt he is eating but not as much he is 1yr and 4 months now do i still feed him 1 cup and a half in the morning and 1 cup and a half at night or does he not need as much food as he did before.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I wouldn't reduce his food especially since he's losing weight, but try and find a topper that he likes, like the yogurt, cooked vegetables, a couple of spoons of Blue Buffalo wet food, peanut butter, green beans, or something else he might like, you can also try adding some warm water, or beef broth to his kibble to make a sort of gravy, the smell may stimulate his appetite. You can also try hand feeding him to see if he eats for you.

OP
N

nikedunks00

Feb 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
chunk
when do i stop giving him the topper(yogurt) im assuming i cant give it to him for ever.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I give Meatball some sort of topper on his food for his morning feeding everyday. I will add egg, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies etc. Than I leave his second feeding just plain kibble. Sometimes he finishes his second feeding sometimes he leaves a bit. Bully's can be a bit snobby with food lol.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
No, you can and should give him yogurt everyday, its an excellent source of probiotics, which is great for digestion and also boosts the immune system, so will help him fight infections, and help with any allergy symptoms. We give our guys 2 Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble everyday, and we give them Omega Oil on their evening kibble along with cooked veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or green beans, whatever we are eating for dinner. You can use salmon oil, cod liver oil or coconut oil for the Omegas, and you can buy them at the drugstore or health food store. We also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
No, you can and should give him yogurt everyday, its an excellent source of probiotics, which is great for digestion and also boosts the immune system, so will help him fight infections, and help with any allergy symptoms. We give our guys 2 Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt on their morning kibble everyday, and we give them Omega Oil on their evening kibble along with cooked veggies like carrots, cauliflower, broccoli or green beans, whatever we are eating for dinner. You can use salmon oil, cod liver oil or coconut oil for the Omegas, and you can buy them at the drugstore or health food store. We also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday.
I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar with Meatball. Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
when do i stop giving him the topper(yogurt) im assuming i cant give it to him for ever.

yes you can.... plain yogurt is good for them

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.