Help Needed! 8 Month old male's appetite

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Hi I am new to the forum, and wanting some advice from fellow bulldog owners.

My male english bulldog is 8 months going on 9 months. In the last 3 weeks he is eating a fraction of what he used to eat. I am feeding him on a high quality puppy biscuit diet which he has always had.

Previously he would eat around the recommended food weight, which worked out at around 3 cups of food, split into two feedings.

He now only eats less than 1 cup a day, and will not touch his breakfast.

I went to the vet when he first started doing this to make sure he was ok, and the vet said that it is just him now not needing all the food as he is nearly fully developed; and for me not to worry.

At the beginning I also tried him on other dry foods as I thought he may have gone of his current one, but he was the same with all of them.

I suppose my main concern is that he isnt eating the recommended amount of food a day, and I don't want him to be loosing any weight!

Has anybody else had a similar experience, is this normal?

Thanks

Jordan

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
How is he? is he acting normal? lethargic? did something change? the recommended feeding amount at the back of dogfoods are just that...recommendations. the best way to see if he does need more food is to look at him. when you look above he should have a waist. at the sides you shouldn't be able to see his ribs but should be able to feel it. if you touch him and you have to search for his ribs then he might be eating too much. losing weight isn't necessarily a bad thing. what is he weighing now? my boy at 8 months weighs 21 kg and has a ton of energy!

others would advice you to "spice up" his food like adding Jogurt, meat, eggs, veggies. :). hope this helps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I agree with diemuttivonBifi, above, also Gus is now 8 months old. Most members including me fed our bullies a puppy formula food 1 cup three times a day until the age of 6 or 7 months of age, then switched them to a adult dog food formula and reduced the feedings to 1 cup twice a day. Also if you are feeding a higher quality of food, you don't need to feed as much quantity, as the food is more digested, so they use more of the food.

OP
G

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Yes he seems fine in himself, he's been slightly more lazy the last week but I believe that's because it's quite hot. I did think that the heat could be a reason for his little appetite. He's currently weighing 23kg, but in the last weeks I am now beginning to feel his ribs. Is there any harm in spicing up his food with eggs and things?

Cheers!

OP
G

gus2014

May 19, 2014
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Sorry that's meant to say beginning to see his ribs!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
[MENTION=11903]gus2014[/MENTION] what are you feeding your dog,

theres nothing up with scrambled eggs, bullys love it

OP