Diet help needed

Dodge

May 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
Hi all, we've had our bulldog since January. He's a rescue dog who did have a lot of problems when we got him. With a few vet visits and a grain free diet he's much improved. But he's losing weight since being on this food, despite feeding him more than the recommended amounts. He has no health issues so it's definitely to do with his diet but because of his allergies we are unsure of what to use to fatten him up.
any ideas?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you're feeding him more than recommended it can be that there is some health issues still or is he extremely active?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Riikkas' Idea that he may still have an unknown health issue. What has he been checked for? Also which brand of dog food is he currently eating? Does he eat all the food you give him?, or is he picky? What are his allergy symptoms. How active is he during the day? If everything checks out health wise, and he's eating we'll, and he's still losing weight, you can five him some toppers on his kibble like cottage cheese, plain unsweetened yogurt, cheese strings, fruits like strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, banana, and veggies like green beans, cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and also peanut butter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a couple of UK members that might have suggestions on food.... which food are you feeding and how much and how many times a day?

OP
D

Dodge

May 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
Thanks for all the replys, he's on Wainwrights grain free, he has 2 cups twice a day plus a ww grain free tray for breakfast. They don't have a good range of grain free in petsathome. When we first got him he was a mess, really bad yeast infection and suspected bloat. He's had full blood works and everything came back as normal that's why we were advised to change his diet before the vet performed allergy tests and he has been amazing, no more scratching, biting, hair loss just the weight issue.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
hi - i have used wainrights before, its good decent stuff but clearly not working for your baby, patty who hasnt been on in a while also highly recommened skinners, we both use jameswell beloved at the mo,

again you can get this at pets @ home

when i get in from work i can smell chicken cooking and i have stopped asking because its for the dogs to mix in, mentioned above theres
good info about fruit and veg as bulldogs love it, different dogs thrive on different foods
also wainrights has a 100% guarantee - if your dog doesnt like it you will get a FULL refund, swap it - even if theres only 1/4 of a bag
i am sure diesel was on fish and potato ?
hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi so sorry for late reply -try feeding nature diet or nature harvest vet trays for puppies , mix in with his dry food i would recommend going for a "puppy " type too careful with overfeeding as he might have soft stools which wont help with the work you are putting in
Also make sure hes wormed and dont over feed to much -take it slowly and you will see results :-)

OP
D

Dodge

May 14, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dodge
Wow that's fab didn't know about the guarantee, so thanks for that. Will try him on James wellbeloved and also i will try him with fruit & veg.

Members online

No members online now.