6 month old puppy on Fromm Four Start

BigBodyBenzo

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Benzo
Good morning everyone,

Looking for some help. I just switched my puppy boy Benzo to Fromm Four Star from Nutrisource puppy. He is 6 months old and 45-50 lbs. He was already starting to show signs of allergies while on Nutrisource so I decided after doing research that this line might be right for him. He was on puppy food while on Nutrisource which was not grain free and I would have loved to switch to the Fromm's puppy food but that one is not grain free either and I have been recommended by many to stay away from grains with him. So that is how I came to the Four Star line. I was giving him 3 cups of Nutrisource a day which was the recommended amount for his weight and age.The recommended amount on the Fromm's bag is 3 cups per day as well for that weight. On the Four Star bag it states that puppies may need 2 to 4 time the recommended amount to get all of the needed nutrients. I started to give him 4 cups of Fromm per day these past 2 days and so far everything is fine I just don't know if he is being too lazy and tired, and not sure if that is because he is not getting enough or because we had an active day yesterday. So this is where I am stuck. I don't know how much more I need to give him, whether I am giving him too much or too little. I tried calling Fromm and the rep basically read what it recommended off the bag to me. I would like help from someone who has experience with this. Possible someone who has used this line with their puppy and knows what I am talking about. Even if there is a doctor with some input on the subject I would really appreciate it. Thanks for all the help in advance.

BTW: He is eating the Surf & Turf but I want to have him on Beef Frittata

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like maybe an upset tummy. How fast did you switch him? Did you do a gradual switch over a week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Many of us here use the Fromms 4 Start Grain Free line. Myself included. My girl was on the Fromms puppy pink bag until she was about 5.5 months old and then we switched her to the grain free line. However, we only feed her 1 cup of kibble twice a day as she will have explosive poo if she gets anymore than that.. Others here feed 1 cup 3 times a day until 7 months to 1 year and then remove the middle feeding by splitting the amount between 2 meals or eliminating that extra cup all together over time. How does Benzo look weight and build wise? Does he have the taper behind the ribs going back to the hips? How long of a transition did you do? Posting a pic looking down over top of him would be great if possible. The two wonderful things as it relates to the Fromms 4Star Grain Free line are that in most cases you are feeding less kibble as it doesn't have the fillers and more of what your pup needs and that you can switch the proteins without having to do a transition, so if you have Pork and Peas and Beef Fritatta you can give one for breakfast and the other for dinner if you wanted to.

As for being lazy and tired... If you had an really active day then it is entirely possible that he is just recuperating as long as he is eating, drinking and relieving himself like normal. if not then a trip to the vet may be required.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June is almost 11 months and 46 lbs. I give her 1 cup of the Surf and Turf in the morning around 7:30 and another cup around 5:30. She gets treats also (apples, bell peppers, yogurt). She also likes the Beef Frittata and Pork and Peas flavors. We started her on the Fromm puppy when she was about 10 weeks but switched to the grain free, like Todd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], around 5-6 months.

OP
B

BigBodyBenzo

Apr 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Benzo
Many of us here use the Fromms 4 Start Grain Free line. Myself included. My girl was on the Fromms puppy pink bag until she was about 5.5 months old and then we switched her to the grain free line. However, we only feed her 1 cup of kibble twice a day as she will have explosive poo if she gets anymore than that.. Others here feed 1 cup 3 times a day until 7 months to 1 year and then remove the middle feeding by splitting the amount between 2 meals or eliminating that extra cup all together over time. How does Benzo look weight and build wise? Does he have the taper behind the ribs going back to the hips? How long of a transition did you do? Posting a pic looking down over top of him would be great if possible. The two wonderful things as it relates to the Fromms 4Star Grain Free line are that in most cases you are feeding less kibble as it doesn't have the fillers and more of what your pup needs and that you can switch the proteins without having to do a transition, so if you have Pork and Peas and Beef Fritatta you can give one for breakfast and the other for dinner if you wanted to.

As for being lazy and tired... If you had an really active day then it is entirely possible that he is just recuperating as long as he is eating, drinking and relieving himself like normal. if not then a trip to the vet may be required.

Benzo is actually quite muscular and has a nice build he is not fat or fat looking at all rather he is more beefy as in his muscles are getting thicker. He is not a purebred English, he is actually a Olde English Bulldogge which is a mix of English and an American, so he is going to be muscular. Full size should be around 75-80 lbs. I am only concerned because of the labeling on the bag stating that 2-4 times the recommended amount may be required for puppies. The transition process was about a week, I started with 1 cup Nutrisource and a half cup of Fromm that was about 2 days then I did half of each for about 2 days and then I did 1 cup Fromm and a half cup of Nutrisource and that was about 2 days and then went to Fromm alone 1 1/2 cup 2 times a day and then these past 2 days switched to 2 cups 2 times a day. Through the transition period everything seemed fine, behavior has been pretty normal as well as his stool, I noticed that stool got a little softer but nothing I am overly concerned about as this should happen and in most cases is worse. I just dont want to be underfeeding him or overfeeding him and I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs. He also gets fruits and veggies throughout the day for treats. I am just concerned and looking for any help. Thank you @samanthaOrts @Marine91

Last edited by a moderator:

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Mine is 10 months old and she gets two cups a day of the Gamebird flavor. We tried Beef Frittata and she wouldnt touch it. She gets treats through the day. Today we did raspberries and blackberries and was so excited.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.