Missing link supplement

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Have any of you tried the Missing Link supplement? I'm looking at the skin& coat formula.

I've had Charley on 1 tbs coconut oil daily for a few months and he is still shedding too much...he's losing guard hairs too. The bald patch on the back of his neck hasn't improved much and it appears a few more slightly rectangular patches and generalized hair thinning have started. Food is acana lamb which otherwise agrees with him (prior food didn't). No itching and otherwise he acts well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Have any of you tried the Missing Link supplement? I'm looking at the skin& coat formula.

I've had Charley on 1 tbs coconut oil daily for a few months and he is still shedding too much...he's losing guard hairs too. The bald patch on the back of his neck hasn't improved much and it appears a few more slightly rectangular patches and generalized hair thinning have started. Food is acana lamb which otherwise agrees with him (prior food didn't). No itching and otherwise he acts well.

I haven't heard of that supplement but my 1st bully, Brutus, I adopted
had these issues, nothing helped and was worsening. Somehow, I was
convinced to try Avoderm (he liked & did best on Red Meat) and it was
GREAT! A friend of his former owner saw him 3 months later and could
not believe it was the same dog! Try giving him a couple of thick slices
of avocado daily (no pits or skin) and give it about 4-6 weeks. Please
report back to us :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] has used this and I think he was pretty pleased. I use Nuvet Plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sharon, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this supplement. We just give our guys plain yogurt, salmon oil, and apple cider vinegar. Have you tried rinsing him with ACV and warm water after his bath?

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the ideas! I gave missing link to one of our girls, I think it was when Leiah had flank alopecia. She ended up needing thyroid pills, but this issue seems so different. when I ran across this online last week I thought I would give it another try. They now have a product specific to skin/coat which intrigued me. I look forward to hearing from [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] about his experience with Missing Link.

I have rinsed Charley with ACV and also wiped him down with diluted ACV in between baths. Tried to get him to drink water with ACV and now he drinks water only when really thirsty. He hated that immediately. I have to really water down his kibble to get water in him.

Fish (and/or chicken) doesn't seem to agree with his digestive track (loose bowels) but pure salmon oil is on my list to try if this doesn't help.

Avocado? Hmmm. I could switch that for the coconut oil, since it doesn't appear to do much. I'll add that to the list!

Missing Link should be on its way. I'll let you know the outcome!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We used missing link when we had Pugs. One of the two founders of missing link was our vet at the time. It worked well for them but I would go with the Nuvet supplement, ive heard and seen amazing things with that stuff.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
One pound of missing link is on its way here from Amazon. I need to read up on NuVet. I thought it was a digestive enzyme. So much for my memory!!! Thanks [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION].

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Missing Link arrived today. I gave Charley 1 tsp and he loved it! The vet had wanted me to give him a an omega 3 supplement which upset his digestive track. Hopefully this fills the need. It has a little fish in it, but not much. It's mostly flax with a few other ingredients and vitamins. We'll see!

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We used the supplement and it did seem to help....but it was also the change of seasons, so we are not sure what it was really doing, We have discontinued use of it, and have decided its just a feature of Gizmo, like her Teeth and Smile. It looks bad, but, there isnt any problem with her other than the large black patches. I have heard mixed reviews, but not sure fire 'fix' for SFA. Most folks say it goes away after a year, well Gizmo is into her 3rd year. Here is my flickr photo album of 'before, during and after 2 bags of Missing link' https://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger/sets/72157630159176396/

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Help Needed: Bulldog Daily Cleaning

[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION], pretty good result. Thanks for sharing the pics. Our previous bullie, Leiah, had the same hair loss as Gizmo, including the black skin. Thyroid pills stopped it, but the hair never completely regrew on her rat tail.

Charley's hair loss is mostly generalized thinning. I've gone through a pound of missing link skin & coat and Charley isn't losing as much hair. Some areas are thickening. He is also on 1tbs coconut oil a day. I'm trying a little bit of acana Pacifica, grain free fish food for his treats. If he can tolerate the fish in it, I might try grizzly salmon oil instead of coconut oil. I originally had fed him a Blue Buffalo with fish. We weren't sure what aggravated his bowels, so switched him to the acana lamb. Now that we have some that solved, it's time to reintroduce a bit of fish. To be continued......

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello all!

Thanks for your candid comments. Well, I used two, maybe three bags of missing link. I still have him on coconut oil and yogurt. The odd hairloss stopped, but didn't regrow. It didn't do anything for his allergies/yeasty ears, so last night I ordered nuvet plus. Hoping he gets some relief.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Very interesting and BIG thanks for the feedback & update.

Did you ever switch out the coconut for avocado? If not, try it.
Coconut does not work for some pets or some people.

Let us know of your results on NuVet. GOD bless!

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Very interesting and BIG thanks for the feedback & update.

Did you ever switch out the coconut for avocado? If not, try it.
Coconut does not work for some pets or some people.

Let us know of your results on NuVet. GOD bless!

Thanks Carol, I realized when rereading this that I hadn't tried avocado yet, but will. I know he does love eating it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.