107.3 KB · Views: 267

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Nice chart!

I'm surprised Avocado is on it though. We eat it all the time and so does Blue. Never had an issue.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Avocado

Avocado leaves, fruit, seeds and bark may contain a toxic principle known as persin. The Guatemalan variety, a common one found in stores, appears to be the most problematic. Other varieties of avocado can have different degrees of toxic potential.

Birds, rabbits, and some large animals, including horses, are especially sensitive to avocados, as they can have respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the heart, and even death from consuming avocado. While avocado is toxic to some animals, in dogs and cats, we do not expect to see serious signs of illness. In some dogs and cats, mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount of avocado flesh or peel. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract, which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care.

Avocado is sometimes included in pet foods for nutritional benefit. We would generally not expect avocado meal or oil present in commercial pet foods to pose a hazard to dogs and cats.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Cool post!!! Popcorn and lettuce?! Didn't know that. How about cheese? I know cottage cheese is ok, but sometimes I give him cubed cheddar.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@Vikinggirl I absolutely disagree with the above. It's a false rumor and incorrect.

The amount of Persin in the actual Avocado is not poisonous to dogs. And whomever wrote the above quote needs to check their facts. Don't feed them the pit or leaves of the plant, but the actual "meat" is fine. Unless of course your dog has an allergy to Avocado, but that's no different than anything else.

Monica, write to those people and tell them "Blueberrys Mom" says to get your facts straight!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=11439]4flowers[/MENTION], ours love popcorn, and as for cheese it will not hurt them in small amounts, but some dogs might be lactose intolerant and it may upset their tummies. We have given ours small pieces from time to time and they have never had a problem with it.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online