General Question Introducing Supplements

forriverhendrix

Mar 25, 2014
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
FN: River, MN: Hendrix
Our new little girl River just turned 10 weeks today and we will be welcoming her home Friday. I've read a lot about the importance of a bully's diet and there seems to be some seriously conflicting information! We are keeping her on the breeder's dry kibble (Royal Canin Medium Puppy) to start, but what about adding supplements? Like plain fat-free yogurt, cottage cheese, canola oil and Ester-C vitamins. Is she too young to introduce these items to her diet? Or is it just too soon since she needs to get acclimated to her new surroundings? I don't want to overwhelm her with too much "different." Does anyone else feed their puppy these foods? If so, how often? I planned on 1 TBS of yogurt, 1 TBS of cottage cheese, 2 tsp canola oil, and 1 Ester-C vitamin 500 mg total DAILY (spread out of course, a little here and a little there mixed in each of her meals throughout day, but not mixing the yogurt and cottage cheese together that seems like too much dairy at once). Anyway, please help! Thanks! xx

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We started to add supplements the few days after we brought Harlea home to give her some time to settle in to her new surroundings. Not sure about Canola oil as I have no experience with it other than cooking but we use coconut oil daily. We introduced things like yogurt, HardyPet, fruits and veggies and Kefir slowly and individually in case she had a reaction so we wold know exactly why caused it. As far as how often.... That is up to each individual. We give Harlea her HardyPet in the morning, Kefir or yogurt 2x a day morning/bedtime and 1 tsp of coconut oil with her dinner in addition to scattered fruits and veggies as treats throughout the day. Her absolute favorites are bananas and red bell peppers. The general rule of thumb is to not introduce more than one new thing a day or ever few days.

ColeB

Mar 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cue
I have been wondering this too. Right now Cue just gets her dry kibble twice a day and carrots or frozen green beans as treats but I am curious about yogurt and coconut oil. She has tried both of these things and loves them but should she be getting them regularly? Also what kind of yogurt? We always have plain greek yogurt in the house... is that ok for her?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have been wondering this too. Right now Cue just gets her dry kibble twice a day and carrots or frozen green beans as treats but I am curious about yogurt and coconut oil. She has tried both of these things and loves them but should she be getting them regularly? Also what kind of yogurt? We always have plain greek yogurt in the house... is that ok for her?
We have been giving Harlea the yogurt and coconut oil daily for months now without any issue. The side benefit of giving a bit of yogurt daily is it will help reduce the their gas even further.

ColeB

Mar 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cue
We have been giving Harlea the yogurt and coconut oil daily for months now without any issue. The side benefit of giving a bit of yogurt daily is it will help reduce the their gas even further.

I had read that about the yogurt which is why I wanted to try it lol She had some nasty ones while we were switching her food over, but they seem to be better now. Thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=11427]ColeB[/MENTION] No problem. That's what we are here for. Harlea passes gas so infrequently that when she does she scares herself now. lol

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I was doing NuVet Plus since I got Ace but recently stopped. I'm trying to pin point Ace's shedding, so I'm currently in the process of switching foods. I also used Grizzly Salmon oil, which I've also stopped for the same reason.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We have been giving June yogurt pretty much since we brought her home. We put it in her Kong toy and freeze it and it keeps her busy. She actually has one right now haha. Sometimes we mix it into her food. Otherwise we give her frozen green beans, bell pepper and apples as treats. She loves all of them. She's also never had an issue with gas. I can probably count on 1 hand how many times she has has gas from her rear end. Burping is another story! Almost every single time she eats or drinks she lets out a hugeeee burp hahahah!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.