Allergy?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
So... Henry had the skin infection. He got off the antibiotics 3 days ago. I changed his food from orijen puppy to orijen 6 fish yesterday. After his morning mean I noticed he was licking his back legs. Today I see his paws are red a little on the bottom. Is it the chicken food that I just stopped and the antibiotics ending? Or is it the fish food? Would he have an immediate reaction? Also, I know how you are supposed to change foods. I get it,trust me. I know some will want to explain it. It's not necessary. I also know that as the wife I choose my battles wisely. Thank you everyone.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Honestly the first time I gave Meatball a chicken based dog food, the following morning it was straight water for bowels, and he was biting his paws. Same thing happened when I tried salmon. So yes, for Meatball the reaction was that fast if it's a food allergy. Don't know about the antibiotics. Also, I once washed his blanket in tide, he slep with it that night, and bit/licked paws and legs the next day. His skin had a pinkish tint too! So my experience is a reaction can happen quickly

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks. It's so hard for me to figure out what to do. I think I'll give it a couple days. See if it gets better or worse. It is barely noticeable now. I'm just such worry mommy that I try not to miss anything.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
My dogs dermatologist says it takes 6 weeks to determine if a dog is allergic to any particular protein or grain. Paw licking is a sign of a food allergy though so you are right to be concerned about the food. The same vet also said for a bulldog, only red meat or duck. We use the orijen regional which is all red meat and pork when we supplement the raw diet sometimes. It might also another item that orijen uses in their food besides the protein that he is allergic to. They have a sister company called Acana that offers some novel protein diets that might help narrow the allergies down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So... Henry had the skin infection. He got off the antibiotics 3 days ago. I changed his food from orijen puppy to orijen 6 fish yesterday. After his morning mean I noticed he was licking his back legs. Today I see his paws are red a little on the bottom. Is it the chicken food that I just stopped and the antibiotics ending? Or is it the fish food? Would he have an immediate reaction? Also, I know how you are supposed to change foods. I get it,trust me. I know some will want to explain it. It's not necessary. I also know that as the wife I choose my battles wisely. Thank you everyone.

How ow is he doing today?

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] He was itchy the first day and I started thinking I made a mistake changing foods. It was less severe over the next few days. Now hardly any. I started to try to think of what else it might have been. The only thing I thought of was that he'd had a couple ticks on him. I don't know if they could cause a reaction like that but I had a dog once that was allergic to ticks and he would just get really lethargic. I had to give him frontline year round because one tick would almost kill him. That was years ago though and I'd almost forgot.
With the 6 fish Orijen I can already tell that Henry's coat is much softer already. So far he is not shedding as much Nd his skin looks good. The only thing I've noticed is that every now and then he jumps and starts to lick like he gets an itch. I'm hopeful that it could all be solved with one change! HA! A girl can always wish!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama He was itchy the first day and I started thinking I made a mistake changing foods. It was less severe over the next few days. Now hardly any. I started to try to think of what else it might have been. The only thing I thought of was that he'd had a couple ticks on him. I don't know if they could cause a reaction like that but I had a dog once that was allergic to ticks and he would just get really lethargic. I had to give him frontline year round because one tick would almost kill him. That was years ago though and I'd almost forgot.
With the 6 fish Orijen I can already tell that Henry's coat is much softer already. So far he is not shedding as much Nd his skin looks good. The only thing I've noticed is that every now and then he jumps and starts to lick like he gets an itch. I'm hopeful that it could all be solved with one change! HA! A girl can always wish!

NICE!! Can take a few months to see the full impact of being on the right food. When he does the jump / lick air thing... check the tailpocket, might need a wipe

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I'm not real clear about the tail pocket thing. Henry has an indention but that's it. I'm very confused about the whole thing. When I tried to look it up I only got the worst cases I think. I wipe off the dent when I wipe his tush but I don't know for sure what problem could come from the dent. Unless it never got wiped or washed I guess. Could you explain? Or is his just not a problem type?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
A lot of bullies have a pocket under their tails. It can either be shallow and easy to clean or tight and deep where you have to work to clean it. All kinds of nasties can get in there like poo, hair and dirt that if it is not cleaned properly it can cause really bad infections.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A lot of bullies have a pocket under their tails. It can either be shallow and easy to clean or tight and deep where you have to work to clean it. All kinds of nasties can get in there like poo, hair and dirt that if it is not cleaned properly it can cause really bad infections.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
[MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION] ^^^^ Todd has you covered on the tail pocket explaination! It is all about the 'under' part of the tail

OP
Roseann

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So, I really checked Henry out to make sure I haven't missed something. Henry's tail pocket is to the side where his tail kinks. This is why I was confused. If it was under his tail and not to the side it would be a huge problem area. It's not bad at all. It just dips in like half a golf ball size. Thanks for the explanation. Henry is 6 months, I'm assuming this area will change as he grows, correct? It sure would be nice if it stayed how it is now. I wipe it all the time because I keep reading about how other people have issues. I am sure to know if it looks like it's getting worse. Fingers crossed!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.