Severe vomiting and diarrhea! Help!

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi Guys!

Bailey is turning 5 months next week and recently switched food from Merrick's Texas Buffalo, sweet potato and peas to Merrick's Chicken, sweet potato and peas as they were out of stock at the store. (He was on Science Diet before I learned that it wasn't good at all)
I came home late last night to find my place in shambles! There were puddles of vomit and stool everywhere! He was curled up in the corner covered in vomit and shaking! I immediately cleaned him up and mopped up the mess, I even had to throw his bed out as it was so bad. I was paralyzed in fear when I realized my little guy may have Parvo! But after a few hours he was playing and driving me nuts with his usual self. What went wrong?? He has had all his shots and was perfectly healthy until then, I've been feeding him a hard boiled egg for a month and he has had no issues what so ever. I'm really worried this may happen again or that his health will quickly deteriorate.
He is now at his vet and I am stressing out while waiting for them to call me with the results, I'm hoping someone else experienced this and can help me figure out what went wrong!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
If it was parvo, the smell of the poop would have been a stomach churning sweet odor. Really gag inducing. The stool would have had mucous. He may have eaten something that gave him an allergic reaction or else eaten something that irritated his stomach. A new diet could easily cause a GI irritation.
My Lola is highly allergic to grass and before I knew this, I saw her eat a some and thought nothing of it. She later threw up, broke out in hives and had diarrhea. I took her to the vet who treated her for giardia, but it turned out to be the allergy. The other day Leo chewed on a wooden table and ate a bunch of the wood. He barfed and started trembling and had diarrhea. I took him to the vet and they hydrated him and told me the wood should pass but that his stomach would hurt for a couple days.
I hope your baby is ok. Be careful switching food and do it very gradually. Let us know what the vet said.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I am glad he is doing better. He may have just eat something that didn't agree with him. Hopefully it has passed and he will be better now.

OP
S

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi Guys!

Bailey is back home after his trip to the vet! We checked for parvo and he tested negative so I'm really relieved. The change of diet triggered something and he took it badly, he is on prescription food for a week as well as antibiotics and will need to switch back to the Buffalo gradually as we suspect he may have had an allergic reaction to the chicken. This was a horrifying experience! Thank you guys for the advice, I'll be sure to be more careful when switching the little guy's food!

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball can't handle chicken! I once gave him a plain chicken breast, he had the runs for 3 days. Haven't touched chicken products again! Actually salmon doe the same thing. We can only feed Beef and Game Bird from Fromm. Hope he feels better:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 114

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Guys!

Bailey is back home after his trip to the vet! We checked for parvo and he tested negative so I'm really relieved. The change of diet triggered something and he took it badly, he is on prescription food for a week as well as antibiotics and will need to switch back to the Buffalo gradually as we suspect he may have had an allergic reaction to the chicken. This was a horrifying experience! Thank you guys for the advice, I'll be sure to be more careful when switching the little guy's food!

I was going to say it was the sudden change in food.... my girl can not do chicken or salmon either -- that is what happens.

good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online