Help Needed! New puppy diet

karmabully143

Mar 16, 2014
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello, I just brought my new english bulldog puppy home, she is 6 weeks old and I'm already so in love with her :)...but I have a few questions about her diet, the breeder i got her from were feeding her canned pedigree and I am in progress of switching her to blue buffalo wilderness puppy.....I am mixing 1-2 tablespoons pedigree with 1/4 cup the blue wilderness 4 times daily...she does not finish the bowl that I set our for her and has started having bad gas after 4 days...I only want the best for her am I doing this completing wrong? How much and how often should I be feeding her?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi and welcome to the forum ;-)
First of all congratulations on becoming a bully parent ,i would love to suggest to your breeder that he/she should keep the pups with the mum untill they are minimum 8 weeks old
But back to your question
Pedigree is a really bad quality food-so you are making great choice - transition to a new food should be gradual and not to quick ,i would wait a few days after you fully switch to check
My girl had a bad gas too at the beginning
With good quality food you dont need to feed as much as you would with cheap food , it might take a while for her to het used to a dry food ,have you tried wetting it ? Some add a spoon of yogurt to the food to help with digestion
How much to feed it depends on a bully ,as sadly they all come in all shapes and sizes
I think i feed Lilly 1/2 of a cup 3 times a day but she was 8 weeks old then .
I hope to see some pictures of your fur baby x

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

I had my dogs on Blue Buffalo originally and they also had very bad gas… I ended up switching their food to Fromms. I'm not sure about the quantity, you would have to look on the bag… but as little as she is you would still need to feed her 3 times a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can try adding a little plain greek yogurt to help. But, research the food too to see if it is a good solid food for your baby, i never used Blue products but some have had success with it and their bullies.

I use Fromm Pork and Peas.... no grain and no gas from my two

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hiya, welcome to EBN and congrats on your new baby.

To be honest, six weeks old is very young to bring your pup home. So for now, I wouldn't switch her to anything. Give her at least 2 weeks to get accustomed to her new surroundings. It's a very stressful time for your pup. Too many new things, including changing her food is going to upset her tummy.

Once she's settled in, you can slowly start the switch. Thing is, if she's used to wet food (i'm assuming the canned pedigree is wet), that means she's also used to soft food.
To get her used to the new kibble, you should pour a little water or broth over it and give it a few minutes to soften up. You have to understand that she has no clue what it is yet.

When you're ready to do the switch, I would do it very, very slow. Just a little wet kibble at each feeding, increasing the amount daily until you're completely feeding the Blue Buffalo. I would do it over a period of 9-10 days.
The slower the switch, the less chance of an upsetting her belly.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Staff online

Members online