Alternative treat suggestions?

AmberXo

Aug 21, 2013
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brynnlee
So Brynn needs to loose weight - she weighs 82lbs. Her previous owners have her in the routine that she goes out to go potty, comes inside, gets a treat. I've tried green beans - she hates them. Carrots - she hates them. And will sit and whine/complain until she gets a treat after coming in. The vet wants her to be at 70bls or lighter…. and I am concerned about her overall health and life span if she continues to get heavier. Does anyone have any other treat ideas that are healthy that she can eat a few times a day?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
All treats that I've tried give Henry runny poo so I give him a few pieces of his normal food as treats.

- - - Updated - - -

All treats that I've tried give Henry runny poo so I give him a few pieces of his normal food as treats.

mo77511

Jan 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sukie and Tucker
Mine get Frozen peaches, Green Beans, ice cubes, Old Mother Hubbards treats (Petsmart) I get the peanut butter flavored ones in the mini size bones and Three Dog Bakery peanut butter sandwich cookies (Looks like a oreo) and will half the cookie between them. I can only find those at Bed Bath and Beyond or order online. My boy like bananas but my girl doesnt. She gags if I put one in her mouth...LOL. Its funny when I take them to the vet or anywhere that gives treats and they will turn their nose up at it or spit it out...picky picky picky

samnie

Jun 29, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
samnie
samnie used to hate beans and carrots too. vet suggested to boil them in chicken (i use beef) broth. she now loves 'em! samnie is also on a diet, besides beans & carrots, i give her honest kitchen's pecks for a cruchy treat - it's only .6 calories per treat!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
mine LOVE blueberries. No other berries, just blueberries. They also happen to be perfect treat size. I ditched all other treats and we use these for training now.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Everything extra is always extra calories, so why not just give her part of her normal food.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just ordered those Fruitable snacks from PetFlow… Roxie loves them!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fruitable is a fav of my two.... and you can always just give one piece of kibble

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
I have recently trimmed about 6 lbs off of Santino by cutting back on his food to 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup at night and he gets treats of raw cauliflower, cucumber slices, raw broccoli and asparagus and he loves it all, especially the cauliflower. It has worked wonderfully to shed the pounds and he's eating very healthy:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June loves bell peppers, apples, pineapple, strawberries, bananas, apples, ice cubes, and the Fromm grain-free treats.

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
What about the Gerber Puffs for babies? They have different flavors and Bear likes them! They are for my son but Ethan loves to share with Bear :p

Most Reactions