Digestive enzymes and probiotics

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Have any of you used these products? If so, were they helpful and for which condition? What is your preferred brand? I'm looking at the Nusentia brand which seems impressive.

Since Charley has been on two different antibiotics and two different ear meds this last two years I'm curious about adding this product duo to the mix. His ear yeast infections are recurring, hair loss around face/neck, pimple chin. He does sneeze once in awhile. No gas though! He's currently on purina fortiflora, but I'm close to running out. This product is pricey, but could save discomfort and vet bills long term if it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
For probiotics and digestive care we just use plain yogurt and kefir. Works well and a fraction of the cost of other probiotics.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I have always used a probiotic powder. It will help with gas from food, help absorb nutrients, also if your bully has been on antibiotics for an extended period they can kill the good bacteria in the digestive system and cause loose stool. Probiotics will definitely help with this. You can use kefir however I like a separate probiotic powder simply because you can be sure how much of the probiotic they are getting.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I always just used plain fat-free greek yogurt… I'm gonna tag some members w/more info to help you!!!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
For probiotics and digestive care we just use plain yogurt and kefir. Works well and a fraction of the cost of other probiotics.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The probiotic powder I use is about $25 a jar. With 2 bullies a jar last me about 4 months. So in reality kefir would be more expensive however I know the bully see kefir as a treat and enjoy eating it. Probiotic supplements aren't expensive given how long they last.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sharon, I also use yogurt on my guys morning kibble every day, you can buy probiotics over the counter from any drugstore. Most vitamins, supplements and medications that are safe for humans are safe for dogs as well. We also add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, there are a lot of benefits to ACV, it is a natural anti inflammatory, balances the Ph levels of the blood, kills bad bacteria in the body, and boosts the immune system which will help the body fight allergies, infections, and it is also good for the skin and fur, which will help with fur loss, and itchiness.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use a powder pro-biotic formula, which comes in a 5 lb.(or smaller) bucket. It is about $59.00 for 5 lb. which I think is very reasonable. It is listed on the nutrition page,as my recommendation.(my opinion) I have been using it for years-also horse products. The thing I also like, is that the owners are always happy to speak to you about what you need. My dogs get yogurt as a treat,too.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I use VETRI PROBIOTIC EVERYDAY Chews, and my dogs love them. They are much easier to feed than pills or powders.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.