brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] , the royal Canin hydrolyzed protein food fills a very special medical need. It's a solution which I'm sure isn't cheap. And, Brutus is thriving! Sounds to me like you care for your pets and are doing what is necessary for them to thrive. Hat's off to you!

For us, raw just isn't viable option due to recession and retirement. We're doing the best we can to provide Charley a great life. We may end up with Royal Canin too based on what the vet told us last month. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I guess I just felt like the whole post while trying to be very helpful was a little condecending. I dont have him on this food because I can't afford better food or because I don't know any better, he is on this because he can't keep anything else down. I know it wasn't said to hurt feelings but it maybe could have been thought out a little better. I hope if you have to use Royal Canin also, it works as well for you as it has for us. I guess I my feelings are just hurt because I have spent alot of time, money, and shed many tears while my baby was sick and Royal Canin is the only thing that has helped my baby.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, Rosalie, I totally agree with you and Sharon, although we all strive to feed the best foods and treats, and give our babies a great life, we sometimes don't have a choice due to things beyond our control. Sometimes what works for the majority of our pets, doesn't always work for others, due to allergies, sensitivities, likes, dislikes, and sometimes it's our budgets, not everyone can buy the most expensive, and that's okay. We find the best quality that we can provide, and also what works best for our Individual bully needs. Rosalie you shouldn't feel offended, and I hope you don't. You give Brutus a loving home and you provide him the best food that he tolerates, and that works for you and his needs, which is all any of us can do. You're a great bully Mommy.
Thank you Monica, I really try to do the best for my babies. Your knowledge is very helpful and i'm probably just being too sensitive. I'm sorry I know you meant the best with your post.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh gosh Rosalie, I never took it in a bad way, wasn't even thinking that.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
We're all doing the best we can. Rosalie, I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. I know only too well getting there had to have been a painful journey for you and Brutus.

Charley had a beautiful coat when on Blue Buffalo fish & sweet potato, unfortunately it gave him yeasty ears and loose bowels. Now on acana his hair is falling out in an odd fashion, little tufts of guard hairs that fall out starting at his neck and migrating to his face. His hair has also turned coarse. The vet wanted him on fish oil. I introduced that and thinking grain free would be better, orijen about the same time. He developed a sensitive tummy on that combo, so couldn't handle the orijen grain free (or was it the fish oil?) that was recommended. We've tried so hard! His stomach seems to be fine now if he only eats his kibble and a half tsp of yogurt each meal. I tried about 1/2 tbs yogurt but it gave him loose bowels. No yogurt Popsicles for Charley!

If I don't see some results pretty quickly, we'll likely purchase a brand of digestive enzymes and probiotics by Nusentia. After that it is back to the vet for tests. I'd really like to try Fromm, but am concerned about all the food changes. The vet also want us to stick with this for awhile so that we don't run out of protein options. This is painful!

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We're all doing the best we can. Rosalie, I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. I know only too well getting there had to have been a painful journey for you and Brutus.

Charley had a beautiful coat when on Blue Buffalo fish & sweet potato, unfortunately it gave him yeasty ears and loose bowels. Now on acana his hair is falling out in an odd fashion, little tufts of guard hairs that fall out starting at his neck and migrating to his face. His hair has also turned coarse. The vet wanted him on fish oil. I introduced that and thinking grain free would be better, orijen about the same time. He developed a sensitive tummy on that combo, so couldn't handle the orijen grain free (or was it the fish oil?) that was recommended. We've tried so hard! His stomach seems to be fine now if he only eats his kibble and a half tsp of yogurt each meal. I tried about 1/2 tbs yogurt but it gave him loose bowels. No yogurt Popsicles for Charley!

If I don't see some results pretty quickly, we'll likely purchase a brand of digestive enzymes and probiotics by Nusentia. After that it is back to the vet for tests. I'd really like to try Fromm, but am concerned about all the food changes. The vet also want us to stick with this for awhile so that we don't run out of protein options. This is painful!

I hope you find your solution soon. It is horrible for everyone going through trying to figure out what is going to work. I will be thinking about you and Charley throughout your journey.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Hi Sharon, I just wanted to say that I too understand. My 13 week old is now on his 3rd food. He started with some food the breeder had him on that I can't find in my state so we put him on Blue Buffalo which gave him very loose bowels and caused his skin to be very very coarse and dry. We are now on Eukanuba at the recommendation of our vet but he now can only sleep for a couple hours at a time before waking up scratching and itchy and crying because he is frustrated. We have started one scoop of fish oil in the morning as well as giving him an antihistimine 2x day. I know I am fortunate that money really isn't a concern when it comes to food for him but I don't want to change his food again especially since it's only been a week but he cries and scratches constantly.

We all do the best we can because we love them and they are a part of our family but I just wanted to echo your struggle too.

Sending puppy hugs!
Patton's Mom.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
@pattonsmom so sorry your puppy is struggling so. I hope his health improves! Poor baby! Just curious, why did the vet recommend Eukanuba?

Honestly I think it was being he had good experience with it personally. It does seem to be helping in other areas...I can now pick up his poop (put it that way) so that's a good thing. His itching has definitely subsided but it is still there. I am hopefully because he does seem to be getting better every day, last night he even slept through the whole night for the first time in weeks so I am hopeful for that light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Good post.

For now Lola is eating 1 cup royal canin Labrador kibble (It was on sale) and 1-2 cups wellness per day.

I have always bought the very best foods I can get on sale.

My main concern is to keep her on a grain free diet to prevent ear infections and allergies.

Our therapy dog group doesn't allow raw food diets.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We're back to inflamed yeasty ears. I think Charley has caught my grass allergy! As soon as we take him out for a walk, he starts sneezing. If it's a grass allergy, grain in his food might cause problems? His current acana lamb and apple food is going to a grain free formulation. Our local store doesn't have it yet, but we'll soon be trying grain free again. It will be an interesting experiment. Hopefully loose stools and stomach aches don't return!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry you're going though this with Charley, I hope trying the grain free helps and gives him relief from his allergies. Have you tried the Fromm's Grain Free foods? Our female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and we switched her food 4 times before we found one that she tolerated. We've been feeding our guys Fromm's for 2 years and they both do really well on it.

MoandPinky

Jun 27, 2013
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Moey & Pinky
Thank you for this useful information....is the book Dr. Becker’s Real Food for Healthy Dogs & Cats? I am living in India and would like to order it online.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry you're going though this with Charley, I hope trying the grain free helps and gives him relief from his allergies. Have you tried the Fromm's Grain Free foods? Our female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and we switched her food 4 times before we found one that she tolerated. We've been feeding our guys Fromm's for 2 years and they both do really well on it.

I haven't tried Fromms, but that could be a next step, depending upon what happens with Acana. I've been quite impressed with Acana since it provides quality ingredients, he was tolerating it, and it is a little less costly than Fromms. I realized the Missing Link skin and coat supplement (high omega 3 fatty acids) I'm giving him for shedding has rice bran in it, but the yeasty ears might be from grass allergy. He was fine until high grass allergy season. Missing link has helped some with his hair loss so I hate to eliminate that.

Members online

No members online now.