Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 13 Recommendations of Best to Worst Dog Food Diets

This is a good discussion. I'm not really sure why I feel offended. Probably because I have to give Brutus a crappy food, but I really don't have any choice.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

@brutus77 , the royal Canin hydrolyzed protein food fills a very special medical need. It's a solution which I'm sure isn't cheap. And, Brutus is thriving! Sounds to me like you care for your pets and are doing what is necessary for them to thrive. Hat's off to you!

For us, raw just isn't viable option due to recession and retirement. We're doing the best we can to provide Charley a great life. We may end up with Royal Canin too based on what the vet told us last month. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, Rosalie, I totally agree with you and Sharon, although we all strive to feed the best foods and treats, and give our babies a great life, we sometimes don't have a choice due to things beyond our control. Sometimes what works for the majority of our pets, doesn't always work for others, due to allergies, sensitivities, likes, dislikes, and sometimes it's our budgets, not everyone can buy the most expensive, and that's okay. We find the best quality that we can provide, and also what works best for our Individual bully needs. Rosalie you shouldn't feel offended, and I hope you don't. You give Brutus a loving home and you provide him the best food that he tolerates, and that works for you and his needs, which is all any of us can do. You're a great bully Mommy.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Mitchel View Post
    @brutus77 , the royal Canin hydrolyzed protein food fills a very special medical need. It's a solution which I'm sure isn't cheap. And, Brutus is thriving! Sounds to me like you care for your pets and are doing what is necessary for them to thrive. Hat's off to you!

For us, raw just isn't viable option due to recession and retirement. We're doing the best we can to provide Charley a great life. We may end up with Royal Canin too based on what the vet told us last month. It is what it is.

Thank you. I guess I just felt like the whole post while trying to be very helpful was a little condecending. I dont have him on this food because I can't afford better food or because I don't know any better, he is on this because he can't keep anything else down. I know it wasn't said to hurt feelings but it maybe could have been thought out a little better. I hope if you have to use Royal Canin also, it works as well for you as it has for us. I guess I my feelings are just hurt because I have spent alot of time, money, and shed many tears while my baby was sick and Royal Canin is the only thing that has helped my baby.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, Rosalie, I totally agree with you and Sharon, although we all strive to feed the best foods and treats, and give our babies a great life, we sometimes don't have a choice due to things beyond our control. Sometimes what works for the majority of our pets, doesn't always work for others, due to allergies, sensitivities, likes, dislikes, and sometimes it's our budgets, not everyone can buy the most expensive, and that's okay. We find the best quality that we can provide, and also what works best for our Individual bully needs. Rosalie you shouldn't feel offended, and I hope you don't. You give Brutus a loving home and you provide him the best food that he tolerates, and that works for you and his needs, which is all any of us can do. You're a great bully Mommy.
    Thank you Monica, I really try to do the best for my babies. Your knowledge is very helpful and i'm probably just being too sensitive. I'm sorry I know you meant the best with your post.
    My smooshy face boy!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Oh gosh Rosalie, I never took it in a bad way, wasn't even thinking that.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We're all doing the best we can. Rosalie, I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. I know only too well getting there had to have been a painful journey for you and Brutus.

Charley had a beautiful coat when on Blue Buffalo fish & sweet potato, unfortunately it gave him yeasty ears and loose bowels. Now on acana his hair is falling out in an odd fashion, little tufts of guard hairs that fall out starting at his neck and migrating to his face. His hair has also turned coarse. The vet wanted him on fish oil. I introduced that and thinking grain free would be better, orijen about the same time. He developed a sensitive tummy on that combo, so couldn't handle the orijen grain free (or was it the fish oil?) that was recommended. We've tried so hard! His stomach seems to be fine now if he only eats his kibble and a half tsp of yogurt each meal. I tried about 1/2 tbs yogurt but it gave him loose bowels. No yogurt Popsicles for Charley!

If I don't see some results pretty quickly, we'll likely purchase a brand of digestive enzymes and probiotics by Nusentia. After that it is back to the vet for tests. I'd really like to try Fromm, but am concerned about all the food changes. The vet also want us to stick with this for awhile so that we don't run out of protein options. This is painful!

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We're all doing the best we can. Rosalie, I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. I know only too well getting there had to have been a painful journey for you and Brutus.

Charley had a beautiful coat when on Blue Buffalo fish & sweet potato, unfortunately it gave him yeasty ears and loose bowels. Now on acana his hair is falling out in an odd fashion, little tufts of guard hairs that fall out starting at his neck and migrating to his face. His hair has also turned coarse. The vet wanted him on fish oil. I introduced that and thinking grain free would be better, orijen about the same time. He developed a sensitive tummy on that combo, so couldn't handle the orijen grain free (or was it the fish oil?) that was recommended. We've tried so hard! His stomach seems to be fine now if he only eats his kibble and a half tsp of yogurt each meal. I tried about 1/2 tbs yogurt but it gave him loose bowels. No yogurt Popsicles for Charley!

If I don't see some results pretty quickly, we'll likely purchase a brand of digestive enzymes and probiotics by Nusentia. After that it is back to the vet for tests. I'd really like to try Fromm, but am concerned about all the food changes. The vet also want us to stick with this for awhile so that we don't run out of protein options. This is painful!

I hope you find your solution soon. It is horrible for everyone going through trying to figure out what is going to work. I will be thinking about you and Charley throughout your journey.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Rosalie!😃

Real Name
    Desiree
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    General Patton
    Likes (Received)

Hi Sharon, I just wanted to say that I too understand. My 13 week old is now on his 3rd food. He started with some food the breeder had him on that I can't find in my state so we put him on Blue Buffalo which gave him very loose bowels and caused his skin to be very very coarse and dry. We are now on Eukanuba at the recommendation of our vet but he now can only sleep for a couple hours at a time before waking up scratching and itchy and crying because he is frustrated. We have started one scoop of fish oil in the morning as well as giving him an antihistimine 2x day. I know I am fortunate that money really isn't a concern when it comes to food for him but I don't want to change his food again especially since it's only been a week but he cries and scratches constantly.

We all do the best we can because we love them and they are a part of our family but I just wanted to echo your struggle too.

Sending puppy hugs!
    Patton's Mom.
    Proud to be Patton's Mommy.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Good info.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@pattonsmom so sorry your puppy is struggling so. I hope his health improves! Poor baby! Just curious, why did the vet recommend Eukanuba?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads