Where is the best place to store dog food?

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I have a container like the one in the picture below (but a smaller size) that seals air tight.

417JuJ7tptL._AA160_.jpg

I would like the food to stay as fresh as possible for as long as possible (hence the air tight container). I'm wondering if it is best to keep the dog food in a cool/cold garage or inside the house at room temperature? Or does it not matter?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a container like the one in the picture below (but a smaller size) that seals air tight.

View attachment 67253

I would like the food to stay as fresh as possible for as long as possible (hence the air tight container). I'm wondering if it is best to keep the dog food in a cool/cold garage or inside the house at room temperature? Or does it not matter?

It definitely matters! Plus it keeps bugs and other pests away from it. This is a great container, we use about a 6 gallon plastic container for the majority of the food and have a smaller plastic one like the size you would keep cereal in for the day to day feed.
:nice:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
i got a large Purina metal airtight containers , one is due to be put for sale as lilly and shy are on adult food now - best thing i ever bought

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
I think you miss understood my question. Where is the best place to keep the container? Inside at room temperature or out in a cool/cold garage?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have sort of the same container, I keep mine inside right in my pantry.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have a larger container like that on wheels (very convenient) and I keep it inside the pantry!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Those are some good containers. We use one like that and we keep it in our pantry. Here there is too much humidity to keep in the garage.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also have a container that I keep in the pantry

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Dry Dog Food Storage Dos and Don'ts

Any dog owner who wants to save money and still provide fresh and nutritious dry dog food should invest in a dry food storage container. There are literally thousands of dog products sold specifically for food storage. Once you have found the perfect container, it is necessary to store the food properly to insure it stays as fresh as possible.

DO: Store the dog food in a dry, cool, and dark place
If food in a container is exposed to sunlight, it can cause the food to go bad faster. Sunlight can also aid in the growth of bacteria, causing digestive issues for your dog.

DO: Be sure to stir new and old dog food together in a container
When you add food to a partially filled container, stirring the food will insure that the food on the bottom doesn't sit on the bottom and go stale. This practice is much like the rotation of stock that supermarkets use. It insures that the older food will be used first and the newer food is used next.

EDITOR'S TIP:

When buying dog food, look for a dry dog food that lists meat as one of the first three ingredients. Read the labels carefully and avoid buying foods that contain corn or corn meal if possible. Corn and corn meal can cause a rise in blood sugar and is just filler used by some dog food makers to save money.

DO: Wash the container on a regular basis

When storing food in a container, it is necessary to wash it in hot water at least once every two or three months. Washing the container will help prevent chemicals from seeping in to the dog food. Washing also helps prevent bacteria from growing in the container. Make sure the container is completely dry before putting the dog food back inside.

DO: Use only food-safe containers

Whatever container you choose, be sure it food safe. Using a container that is not meant for food could mean that is not airtight. Any container that is not food grade may also contain chemicals that can be harmful to the dog food.

DON'T: Store dry dog food in the original bag

Buying a larger bag of dog food or buying dog food in bulk can save money, but the food will go stale quickly. Always store food in an airtight container if it will not be used within a month. Airtight containers will keep the food fresh much longer than its original bag.

DON'T: Throw away the original bag

In case there is a recall or problem with your dog food, it is a good idea to keep the original bag until the food is gone. During recalls, it may be necessary to know the batch number that is printed on the bag. The bag will also have the expiration date stamped on it.

DON'T: Use a plastic container unless it is labeled BPA free

Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical that can be found in many plastic containers, including food-grade plastics. BPA has been shown in several medical studies to be harmful and may even cause cancer. BPA has been linked to thyroid and neurological problems.

DON'T: Never reuse any bag or liner

When replacing a liner or bag to store food inside a dog food container, always use a new bag or liner. Using a new bag or liner will help keep the dog food fresh and free from any harmful contaminants.

Storing your dog food in a container will help to keep the food fresher longer. Storing dog food in an airtight container will also help you to save money by allowing you to purchase dog food in larger quantities. There are a variety of dog products sold that are specifically for storing dry dog food. Some come on wheels, while others offer storage and feeding in one. It is not necessary to purchase a container that is meant specifically for pet food. Any food-grade container that has an airtight lid can be used. It may be useful to keep a steel or plastic scooper near the container to aid in feeding.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online