Calcium : phosphorus ratios

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Do you guys look for specific ratios in kibble? I know this is a huge deal for large breed puppies but English bulldogs put on a lot of bone mass as puppies. Is this something that needs to be carefully watched?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I really do not know a whole lot about this, but many consider English Bulldogs large breed due to weight. However, large breed dogs grow very tall in a very short period of time, while EB's grow in a much slower time frame. This is why after speaking with the nutritionalist years back (they have one you can call and ask questions to-- fabulous) at Fromm I decided to use the Fromm in the pink bag, that is not specific for large breed.

This is also a problem with anesthesia, because many bulldogs get too much because they dose by weight.

I know this does not answer your question, I am not even sure what I am rambling about, but I would think the calcium and phospate is important and good, and whatever is not used would be expelled? I do hope someone else can chime in and give you better information. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't know what it is either, but we use FROMM Puppy Gold in the pink bag and switch them to an adult food at age 7 months of age.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Got my bulldog as an adult, but I will say if I did get a puppy I would watch that and even shoot for a large breed puppy food with low levels of both just to be safe.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Bulldogs are a medium breed dogs,all pups grow at a faster rate - like lisa mentioned large breeds tend to grow high -bulldogs are not tall dogs i think the important thing is to watch their weight as they grow (not to make them chubby) as it puts pressure on the joints
I look for 2:1 ratio

If you feed large breed puppy foods you need to be aware that they typically contain less calcium than do “regular/medium” puppy foods and the manufacturers keep the ratio of calcium and phosphorus within fairly narrow limits (keeping this in mind im not talking about low quality food ;-)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.