Help Needed! Strugling with food allergies

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
We're in this same situation. One thing the vet said that made sense is that if we keep trying different foods it will be more difficult to put him on an elimination diet if we need to. So for now, I think I'm going to keep him on the Acana lamb and apple, plus probiotics. He digests this food than any previous foods. To be continued...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we too are on that food rollercoaster.... and it is challenging to find a food that has NO chicken in it at all (no chicken meal, no chicken FAT, no chicken chicken) Blue does have a Basics' salmon that doesnt have chicken, and right now I put them on EARTHBORNE HOLISTIC MEADOW its LAMB Based, no chicken, available at Tractor Supply.
[MENTION=11233]King Hugo the Great[/MENTION] .... Earthborn is a good choice too --- [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] feeds this to her Vegas as well and he does really good on it.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] Vegas has been on Earthbourne for almost two years, Lamb, and does very good on it, better than he did NVI Salmon and he was horried on Fromms!!

OP
King Hugo the Great

King Hugo the Great

Feb 26, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hugo has been on the Zignature Trout and Salmon for 5 days now. He seems to be doing fine on it. He is still licking his paws and scratching his face but it will probably take more time to see if this is actually working. The lady at the pet store said it could be a month before we see improvement. She also suggested giving him a probiotic. They sell a product called Geneflora. I didn't buy any but it might be something we will try if things don't imrove after a few weeks. Has anyone heard of this product or has any tried it?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We went though the same thing with Brutus. He was getting interdigital cysts and ear infections and vomiting and the vet said it was food related. The vet suggested a fish based food also. we tried Wellness Core Ocean blend. Brutus had a horrible reaction to it and is now on prescription food. The Wellness is supposed to be great food though. You might want to try that. I think Brutus' tummy had just had enough and needed the prescription food.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I'm going through the same thing with Lucy. I know it's food related because every time she has a reaction, eg: paw licking, tear stains, etc, I go back to the bland diet and the symptoms clear up. Then I introduce a new food. So far she has had almost immediate reactions to peas, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. The only thing she hasn't reacted to was green beans. I may just keep her on home cooking for life. So may kibbles, especially the grain frees have peas and/or sweet potatoes. You really just have to, like someone posted above, feed one protein and one carb until things clear up, then add one food at a time for a week or so, or until you see some symptoms. Good lucjk!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
You might also try Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. They make several flavors--lamb and rice, potato and duck, etc. You can read the ingredient list on the website and most flavors have a matching treat, so you can really restrict what they're getting. My vet recommended the sweet potato & salmon to me (and said that's what she gives her two bullies). She also said to be very careful with treats: If you give something with different ingredients you negate all the good you do with the food. She told me not to even give my girl any real animal bones. Stick to ONE animal protein source (fish in our case, something else if that's working for you) and no grains. She said I could give protein like peanut butter or PB flavored treats.

I buy the food locally at a smaller pet supply chain that specializes in natural foods, but Petco has it and so does Amazon.

If you really still have problems you can get antihistamines, too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.