General Question Science Diet Brand

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi Guys!

We are new on this site and need some advice! I'm living in Manila so we don't have easy access to Fromm or any other dog food that isn't Pedigree, Eukanuba, Royal Canine or Science Diet. Bailey is turning 4 months next week and has been on Science Diet since I got him 2 months ago. He's been doing fine but has been gaining weight at a rapid pace! Is this brand any good? Any suggestions? What more can I do to make sure he grows up strong and healthy?

Attachments

• 2014-02-17 20.52.59.jpg
    2014-02-17 20.52.59.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 142

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
aww hes beautiful!! what a big boy :)!! a lot of people here on this website tend to not favor science diet. i currently have my bulldog on fromm's beef fritatta and he loves it. anyone here will tell you all bulldogs are different and what works for one might not work for another. in my opinion i would recommend you try to find another brand for him but im no expert just giving you my input from information i've gathered around this website. im sure someone will post a link to the list of dog food ratings soon so you can check them all out yourself!! cute bulldog!!! welcome to the forum!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it's not the best food around but if he is doing well on it then stick with it, since you don't have that much of a choice. I would supplement him with NuVet Plus, or HardyPet Complete. Both of these you can get from their web sites.

OP
S

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Thanks for the replies! Helps a lot! I heard Fromm is one of the best out there and I've been looking everywhere for it. He's been doing good on Science Diet but he is still a pup and I'm sure the backlash will come as he grows older so I want to make sure he gets the best from the start. I'll try the NuVet Plus supplement and see if I can't find any 6 star dog food from the ratings list! Thanks again!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
You've received some good advice above. I just wanted to say welcome to EBN! Bailey is a cutie :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Thanks for the replies! Helps a lot! I heard Fromm is one of the best out there and I've been looking everywhere for it. He's been doing good on Science Diet but he is still a pup and I'm sure the backlash will come as he grows older so I want to make sure he gets the best from the start. I'll try the NuVet Plus supplement and see if I can't find any 6 star dog food from the ratings list! Thanks again!

Try looking in the Fromm website and maybe contacting them if you're interested in that food. They have listings of where their food can be purchased and I've heard they're great with customer service if contacted.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He is a really good looking Bulldog!! Good luck on the food search but like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said if you cant find it you can supplement it. :welcome: to EBN I'd love to see more pics of him!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Oh what a cutie! And hello kabayan! glad to see another filipina here. I emailed FROMM a couple of months ago and they said they are concentrating their distribution locally and have no plans of exporting their food at the moment :(. Maybe you can ask relatives in the US to send you a balikbayan box every couple of months with a 26lb bag of FROMM? Might even be more econimical? Although I'm sure (ok i hope) other 6 and 5 star rated foods are available in the Philippines, Orijen for example? Or you could do raw like me :D. Goodluck on your search. Would love to see more of your baby.

mcook3624

Feb 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Not sure how the price compares to buying it at a retailer but I found Fromm at pet food direct, free shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the help! I printed out the 6 star dog food list and went down to the dog store where they have imported food: I got a hold of Merrick's Buffalo and sweet potato. Bailey tried his first portion yesterday and devoured it! I think this will do nicely I'm so glad he is off the science diet since I noticed little red spots in his stomach and inner thighs! I think he was getting some kind of allergy and it seems to have toned down since.
I've posted more photos of the little guy! Enjoy and thank you again! 2013-12-23 20.23.58.jpg2013-12-21 21.37.17.jpg2014-02-26 11.52.41.jpg

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Hi Guys!

Thanks for all the help! I printed out the 6 star dog food list and went down to the dog store where they have imported food: I got a hold of Merrick's Buffalo and sweet potato. Bailey tried his first portion yesterday and devoured it! I think this will do nicely I'm so glad he is off the science diet since I noticed little red spots in his stomach and inner thighs! I think he was getting some kind of allergy and it seems to have toned down since.
I've posted more photos of the little guy! Enjoy and thank you again! View attachment 67278View attachment 67277View attachment 67276
That is awesome! Bailey will undoubtedly appreciate your efforts :) such a cutie!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bailey is sooooooo handsome!!! Glad you found a good food to give him! Bogey had digestive issues from day one- on all the good foods- Fromms, Natures Variety, etc. We could never get him to have solid poo. So, the vet INSISTED he be put on a Science diet prescription food- darn if it didn't work! BUT, I also had the attitude, this may be good now, but what are the long term effects? CORN was the #1 ingredient. So, I did my own research, and found Natures Balance for Fat dogs had almost the same Fiber/fat/protein ratio as the science diet, but no corn or wheat. So, I switched slowly and he is thriving on it, so I feel so much better. My vet thinks I am some kind of nut, but I don't care. There is too much evidence here that bad foods are worse over the long term! Good luck!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That's awesome news, I'm glad you found a good food!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.