How long does it take for an allergic reaction to occur?

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I just rescued a 2-3 year old bulldog a few days ago. I got her in a sorry state - big scabs I thought was mange, cherry eye with massive infections and very skinny.I took her to the vet and vet said her skin was clear for mange but it was likely allergic reaction to food. I've been reading and reading and it seems like bullies can be allergic to near everything! We made the mistake of feeding her our dog's Purina kibble for 3 days. Her last meal of it was this morning. Now I know better. She has not been scratching or grooming herself at all since we got her.In effort to help our 2 girls get along I gave them pieces of roasted turkey breast this morning. Both thought it was pretty grand. About 1 hour later Daisy started farting like crazy then itching her sides until they bled. I put a shirt on her to stop her.Unfortunately where I live it is impossible to get grain free dog food this weekend so I'm trying out some raw feeding of chicken, egg, snap peas and carrots. She really liked it. She started itching again and looking like she wanted to scratch all over. I washed her with anti - itch shampoo but she's still scratching and now chewing her feet.So would an allergic reaction happen that fast that she may be allergic to poultry or is it more likely her 3 days of Purina is the culprit? Her skin has improved so much since we got her it breaks my heart to see her scratching herself bloody all the sudden.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm thinking it's the purina. But then the others may have played a role too. Bullies are extremely sensitive and something as simple as a treat can trigger allergic reactions. It can happen quickly too. I would give her a bland diet for now if you can't get the kibble you need. There's only a couple of ingredients which is great for sensitive bullies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN.... Thank you for rescuing this baby!

as Jamielyn said... Something as small as a treat can be the culprit and go bland diet till you can get a grain free ( I would go poultry free too) food for her.

Here is a dog food rating thread to help you choose. Many have great success with Fromm, Natures Variety, Earthborn and Taste of the Wild. Food is a trial and error road and it can be a long one till you find what works best. One rule of thumb, if you can buy it anywhere (grocery store, target, walmart, pharmacy) it is most likely garbage and not good for any dog.

good luck... Ask as many questions as you need to.... Members are that have been on your road and they can help

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
HI! thank you for rescuing a bully! Lola has the same reaction to cooked turkey, she actually got hives and was so itchy her arm pits bled from scratching so much. She was licking her paws when she was on chicken kibble as well. I would choose beef, lamb, or venison as the sole (if possible) source of protein in the next bag of food you get (get a small bag), and see how she does. Not all bullies have to eat grain free, but it certainly reduces the chance of having an allergic reaction. Your best bet is to check the ingredient list, carefully, and give it a try. (no chicken/poultry, no corn, no soy….rice and potatoes should be ok if your bully is not allergic) As soon as you find a better food, things will be so much better!!! don't worry, almost all of us have had a period of time troubleshooting food.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
and to answer your question…bulldogs can have immediate allergic reactions or they can take years to develop over time. Lola was on a chicken kibble (not that she liked it or ate it willingly) for a year and a half before her allergies really got to be annoyingly unbearable (paw licking, body scratching, ear infections). Allergies to food can develop even if your dog has been eating the same food for years. We feed Lola commercially available raw food patties but we change up the protein between venison/lamb and boar hoping that she doesnt develop an allergy to either.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent advice above! I wanted to add that you can give plain benedryl, 1mg per pound up to 3 times a day if needed. They usually come in 25mg so most times it's two pills per dose. It will help curb the itching. It does take a day or so to really start working. Consult your vet if you are giving other meds right now to make sure none of them have the same active ingredient .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you so much for the info. I was looking at the Nature's Variety Instinct line. Thinking order from Amazon - we're in Hawaii so it's hard to get specialty stuff local or find online where the shipping is free.

She got chicken this morning, poop was good, body and urine odor good. But still itching so I will switch to beef or pork tonight.

I'm really interested in the raw diet, it's more work preparing her meals but I work from home so can take the time setting up her food. I feel like this will let me find a good protein for her too before investing in the bagged food if we go that route.

Do you think I should hold off on introducing rice or potato until I find a good protein and her skin calms? Her guts seem to be ok, her poop was firmer and smaller than yesterday 24 hrs after stopping the kibble and she isn't farting like a fiend anymore. She is underweight. You can see her ribs. She's 28 lbs. She will probably look right at around 35 lbs? I'm thinking rice will help her fatten faster than just meat? But I'm worried if I'm still messing with finding the best protein for her and add rice now that I'll be adding too many allergen variables at the same time.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
if you at going to feed raw, then no grains no rice no potato are needed

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for adopting her. You have some great advice above. I would try the Benedryl and that should help.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Putting benadryl on my shopping list, so terrible seeing her itch like this!

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Pork shoulder and a benadryl tonight - no scratching at all!

How frequently do you administer the benedryl?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pork shoulder and a benadryl tonight - no scratching at all!

How frequently do you administer the benedryl?

you can do as needed, but up to 3x a day is best rule to follow

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I spoke too soon. I think she may be allergic to pork too {:/
She itched some last night after eating. I fed her pork shoulder and an egg plus a benedryl this morning - she itched for an hour after breakfast, scratching her face and ears and rubbing her face on the carpet. She was then fine for the past 7 hours. Now I just gave her a piece of pork to take her benedryl and she started scratching and rubbing her face like mad for about 10 minutes. She's stopped and is now napping peacefully. Sooo... do I try it again or was that a strong indication she's not tolerating pork well?

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
OK it was hamburger for dinner tonight. No benedryl to see if she would react and she is doing great! So I guess chicken and pork are triggers for her but beef is ok.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OK it was hamburger for dinner tonight. No benedryl to see if she would react and she is doing great! So I guess chicken and pork are triggers for her but beef is ok.

That is good news, hope it keeps showing positive results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online