Need a new food or suggestions

KYBully270

Feb 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
My bulldogs name is Charlie he's 11 months and healthy weight and size wise according to the vet. He eats twice a day since ive had him once in the am once in the evening. I came across Charlie when he was 6 months because his owners had a newborn and he played too rough. When I got him they were feeding him a purina brand food and his poop wasnt solid at all. I gradually changed his food to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. Good part his poop became solid but the bad is it gave him horrible gas....I mean HORRIBLE! So this past month ive been changing him over to Royal Canin 24. The gas is gone but now his poop is getting runny again. Is there something I can do to help or do you have suggestions for a food that will help his gas and harden his stool?

Thanks ahead of time!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We had Henry on royal canin puppy then did a little more research and realized we'd possibly made a mistake and it was not as quality as we had originally thought. He also pooped a lot and it was a bit softer than I thought it should be but the gas was horrible. We did a lot of homework and decided on Orijen puppy. He eats half as much with the more quality food. His energy and spunk is better. He can play longer without being exhausted. (This may have just been a puppy stage, I really don't know for sure) He has nice solid poop three times a day. Gas is almost non existent now. It's so rare that it takes me a second to realize its Henry when I smell something funky. Lol. Also, I started the slow transition like I had read about and that lasted 2 days. Hubby said there was no reason to drag it out. Just change him and get on with it. Hubby is as stubborn as a bulldog sometimes. Thankfully he had no issue with the sudden change. Good luck.

OP
KYBully270

KYBully270

Feb 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I'll have to see if they carry that around here.... I'm the same way as your husband but I tried to make it a one week transition. I would've kept him on the Taste of the Wild but I am not exaggerating when I say the gas could clear a room I couldn't take it anymore!

Diesels mom

Mar 19, 2013
Arizona
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
I recently went though a food change with my one year old bulldog Diesel. I had been feeding him Royal Canin all year because that's what the breeder had him on and being a new bully mom I had no idea what was good and bad. Over the year he started having runny stools, awful gas, and skin allergies. The vet finally recommended an allergy med or a food change, because I didn't want my pup to take medication I decided to switch his food. After a lot of research and a lot of feedback from this website I decided on Fromm beef fritatta. I made the change very gradually over two and a half weeks just this pass December after his one year birthday. I could not be any more happier with the outcome and my bullies health with the food change. Stools are firm but not too hard and I have not witnessed any gas like he used to :) his skin allergies have completely diminished. Finding the right food for our bullies is tricky and we all want nothing but the best for him. If you want to keep him on the Royal Canin and his stools are still runny maybe you can back off on the kibble for a few days and feed him the bland diet to try and settle his stomach.

OP
KYBully270

KYBully270

Feb 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
The brand is really not a concern for me ive heard negatives from the most expensive to the cheapest I just want to do whatever is going to make him happy and healthy and I know a messy butt cannot be enjoyable :sarcastic::sarcastic::ROFL2: I'd just like to know about brands that ppl have had success with then it's trial and error from there he has many years to go so a few months of making sure his butt is clean is worth finding a food that will good for his lifespan

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OK -- so if brand is a non-issue, look into a differnt protein source under the Taste of the Wild. Royal Cannine is not a good food and really all just fillers.

I have had great results with Fromm... use grain free line... Game Bird, Beef Frittata or Pork/Peas

Also, look at our dog food ratings list or check out dogfoodadvisor on the web for more info.

cbh142

Aug 4, 2012
Irwin, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geno
i had geno on taste of the wild pacific. He does really well on it. He did have diarrhea one day and it smelled SO BAD LIKE FISH. He wasn't sick from the dog food, we don't know what that was, but we changed him to taste of the wild bison and venison. He fine and gas is less stinky.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How long was he on the Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream kibble? It takes awhile before he adjusts to it. Many here say to give it 30 days or so.

If his only issue was gas I'd probably keep him on a grain free fish based formula because it doesn't sound like he's allergic to it. You can try a different company such as Fromm which has a grain free formula called Salmon Tunalini (Blue was/is on it) or use the link [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] posted for a complete list of brands rated by stars.

Whichever formula you choose, do a slow transition (so as not to upset him stomach even more), and give it some time to see how does.

Oh, and please take him off Royal Canine 24 (Bulldog formula I'm assuming). Someone in my neighborhood had his bullie on it and it just caused way too many problems. I'm amazed the crap is still on the market.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it looks like you've been given great advice already. We also changed our two guys to Fromm's Beef Frittata from Royal Canin which was what the breeder was feeding them. I knew it wasn't a great choice based on the ingredients, even though the breeder and our vet said it was a good quality food. My vet sells the Royal Canin in her office, but vets receive kick backs for selling specific brands of dogfood. My two guys have been on Fromm's Beef for 18 months, and they are doing really great on this food. They poop 2 to 3 times per day, and the stools are well formed, soft but not mushy or soft serve, and they don't have bad gas problems. Also I find that their poop doesn't smell really bad either, ( it does smell, it is poop after all lol ), but the smell isn't terrible. :poo:

OP
KYBully270

KYBully270

Feb 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Sorry if I miss a reply to anyone this is my first dog of my own so I'm still getting used to the details of foods and their ingredients. I had him on taste of the wild for around 4 months I was hoping the gas would go away so I wanted to give him time to adjust. I just couldn't take the gas I couldn't even have ppl over cuz it would clear a room. I will check into fromm seems like many of you are using it with success so I will see if it is carried around here.

OP
KYBully270

KYBully270

Feb 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Digging around I've found that noone around here carries Fromm brand so I'm thinking of trying either the Orijen or Blue Wilderness any feedback on either?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Digging around I've found that noone around here carries Fromm brand so I'm thinking of trying either the Orijen or Blue Wilderness any feedback on either?

You can order Fromm online from Petflow... use the EBN coupon code for I think free shipping

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Both of those are great choices too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.