Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Carrots caution-if you didn't know

People sometimes find that baby carrots turn slimy in the fridge, very soon after storage. They are going off due to poor storage conditions, post harvest. If you eat them you run the risk of food poisoning (usually from ecoli or salmonella bacteria). It happens to baby carrots more than normal carrots because of the additional processing involved. Baby cut carrots are made from longer carrots. The skin is taken off and then longer carrots are cut into smaller "baby" carrots. The skin (as in humans!) is there for a reason, a protective layer. These baby carrots are then washed in a chlorine solution before a final wash in potable water. This process is an attempt to ward off early degradation of the baby carrots.
    Most carrots are kept and processed in near freezing conditions and once they leave the packing plants experience warmer temperatures which encourage bacterial growth. Storage conditions in supermarkets is far from ideal, in many cases.In the case of slimy carrots (baby or otherwise) one has to err on the side of caution and throw them away.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Carrots caution-if you didn't know

I buy the baby carrots that are organic (or supposed to be?!!) I wonder if those are safer?!! LOL

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Manydogs that is great info, thank you. I did not know that.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

"
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I buy the baby carrots that are organic (or supposed to be?!!) I wonder if those are safer?!! LOL
    nope, probably worse, less pesticides and no preventative treatments for bacterial growth

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    nope, probably worse, less pesticides and no preventative treatments for bacterial growth
    GREAT!!! So much for healthier choices… just costs more… LOL

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that information, I knew about the washing them in Chlorine solution, but I didn't know the rest of the process. Very good information to know, especially because a lot of people including my daughter give these to their children as snacks with ranch dressing or dips. My grandson loves the baby carrots in his lunch.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I always wondered why they turned slimy so fast. Any food that has the slightest amount of uck goes to the trash. I have been buying regular carrots for awhile not and cutting them up.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Charley, a 5 year old male
    Likes (Received)

Done with precut carrots! Thanks for sharing this info. If you give your bullie carrots, how small do you cut them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

Gross! I have always been turned off by baby carrots. They always just seemed weird (and tasted weird) to me. Glad I have a reason!

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member RazrRila99's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colossus
    Likes (Received)

Good information. Colossus LOVES his baby carrots. Mine are kept VERY cold, almost freezing (thats how I like them) so they dont get slimy, they might dry out somewhat but dont get slimy.

As for @Sharon Mitchel's question - I give Colossus fully baby carrots, I watch him closely while he eats them to make sure he crunches them down and not swallows whole.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    People sometimes find that baby carrots turn slimy in the fridge, very soon after storage. They are going off due to poor storage conditions, post harvest. If you eat them you run the risk of food poisoning (usually from ecoli or salmonella bacteria). It happens to baby carrots more than normal carrots because of the additional processing involved. Baby cut carrots are made from longer carrots. The skin is taken off and then longer carrots are cut into smaller "baby" carrots. The skin (as in humans!) is there for a reason, a protective layer. These baby carrots are then washed in a chlorine solution before a final wash in potable water. This process is an attempt to ward off early degradation of the baby carrots.
    Most carrots are kept and processed in near freezing conditions and once they leave the packing plants experience warmer temperatures which encourage bacterial growth. Storage conditions in supermarkets is far from ideal, in many cases.In the case of slimy carrots (baby or otherwise) one has to err on the side of caution and throw them away.

Thank you, Lynn! I no longer eat baby carrots due to chlorine wash (poisonous).
    I try to avoid anything with chlorine, including toothpaste...it's shocking what it does
    to harm our bodies, the most shocking fact...it doesn't prevent dental decay! I use a
    process called 'oil pulling' with coconut oil that totally cleanses & deoderizes my
    teeth & mouth. Google it

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads