Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
People sometimes find that baby carrots turn slimy in the fridge, very soon after storage. They are going off due to poor storage conditions, post harvest. If you eat them you run the risk of food poisoning (usually from ecoli or salmonella bacteria). It happens to baby carrots more than normal carrots because of the additional processing involved. Baby cut carrots are made from longer carrots. The skin is taken off and then longer carrots are cut into smaller "baby" carrots. The skin (as in humans!) is there for a reason, a protective layer. These baby carrots are then washed in a chlorine solution before a final wash in potable water. This process is an attempt to ward off early degradation of the baby carrots.
Most carrots are kept and processed in near freezing conditions and once they leave the packing plants experience warmer temperatures which encourage bacterial growth. Storage conditions in supermarkets is far from ideal, in many cases.In the case of slimy carrots (baby or otherwise) one has to err on the side of caution and throw them away.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I buy the baby carrots that are organic (or supposed to be?!!) I wonder if those are safer?!! LOL :ponder:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] that is great info, thank you. I did not know that.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I buy the baby carrots that are organic (or supposed to be?!!) I wonder if those are safer?!! LOL :ponder:
nope, probably worse, less pesticides and no preventative treatments for bacterial growth

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
nope, probably worse, less pesticides and no preventative treatments for bacterial growth

GREAT!!! So much for healthier choices… just costs more… LOL

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks for that information, I knew about the washing them in Chlorine solution, but I didn't know the rest of the process. Very good information to know, especially because a lot of people including my daughter give these to their children as snacks with ranch dressing or dips. My grandson loves the baby carrots in his lunch.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I always wondered why they turned slimy so fast. Any food that has the slightest amount of uck goes to the trash. I have been buying regular carrots for awhile not and cutting them up.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Gross! I have always been turned off by baby carrots. They always just seemed weird (and tasted weird) to me. Glad I have a reason!

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Good information. Colossus LOVES his baby carrots. Mine are kept VERY cold, almost freezing (thats how I like them) so they dont get slimy, they might dry out somewhat but dont get slimy.

As for [MENTION=9825]Sharon Mitchel[/MENTION]'s question - I give Colossus fully baby carrots, I watch him closely while he eats them to make sure he crunches them down and not swallows whole.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
People sometimes find that baby carrots turn slimy in the fridge, very soon after storage. They are going off due to poor storage conditions, post harvest. If you eat them you run the risk of food poisoning (usually from ecoli or salmonella bacteria). It happens to baby carrots more than normal carrots because of the additional processing involved. Baby cut carrots are made from longer carrots. The skin is taken off and then longer carrots are cut into smaller "baby" carrots. The skin (as in humans!) is there for a reason, a protective layer. These baby carrots are then washed in a chlorine solution before a final wash in potable water. This process is an attempt to ward off early degradation of the baby carrots.
Most carrots are kept and processed in near freezing conditions and once they leave the packing plants experience warmer temperatures which encourage bacterial growth. Storage conditions in supermarkets is far from ideal, in many cases.In the case of slimy carrots (baby or otherwise) one has to err on the side of caution and throw them away.

Thank you, Lynn! I no longer eat baby carrots due to chlorine wash (poisonous).
I try to avoid anything with chlorine, including toothpaste...it's shocking what it does
to harm our bodies, the most shocking fact...it doesn't prevent dental decay! I use a
process called 'oil pulling' with coconut oil that totally cleanses & deoderizes my
teeth & mouth. Google it :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Thank you, Lynn! I no longer eat baby carrots due to chlorine wash (poisonous).
I try to avoid anything with chlorine, including toothpaste...it's shocking what it does
to harm our bodies, the most shocking fact...it doesn't prevent dental decay! I use a
process called 'oil pulling' with coconut oil that totally cleanses & deoderizes my
teeth & mouth. Google it :)

Sorry, this is confusing...I was talking about chloride and meant to include
fluoride also, as both are bad for everyone and our environment...POISONS!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.