Thread: What age can bulldog pups start eating bones?

Real Name
    Jason
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hugo
    Likes (Received)

Default What age can bulldog pups start eating bones?

Hi all, my bulldog is currently on a decent quality dry complete food. He is aged 14 weeks old. Is it safe for him to eat any bones or paddywack?

I am considering putting him on a raw diet.......

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What age can bulldog pups start eating bones?

He can gnaw on soft edible bones as early as weaning age. The dam usually would regurge food including bones for her weaning pups until they grow teeth. At 14 weeks, the pup would be gnawing on his bone without needing the dam to chew it down for him.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Jason
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hugo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    He can gnaw on soft edible bones as early as weaning age. The dam usually would regurge food including bones for her weaning pups until they grow teeth. At 14 weeks, the pup would be gnawing on his bone without needing the dam to chew it down for him.
    would pork bones be fine at his age? I am wondering whether to change him from kibble/meat to a raw diet, i read that feeding raw could stunt his growth....

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by homeriscool View Post
    would pork bones be fine at his age? I am wondering whether to change him from kibble/meat to a raw diet, i read that feeding raw could stunt his growth....
    Where in the world did you hear that? Dogs have been eating raw for ages... and wild dogs are not smaller than the house dog! Now, of course, if you feed him inappropriate raw foods... like giving him ground beef all day everyday and nothing else, then yeah, your dog will not be able to develop healthy bones. Of if you feed mainly bones with only a bit of meat or feeding bones and meat but with no organs... Whole Prey. That's the meal ticket.

Pork is fine - ribs and neck. No weight-bearing bones. But, I'd start him off with chicken or rabbit first just so he gets his jaw/teeth exercised before handling the denser pork bone.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Angie
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
    Likes (Received)

I switched Mr. Beefy over to raw right away. Started out using instinct raw for a week then went full raw. At first he had trouble with chewing the bone, I then gave him chicken wings and that did the trick a couple of weeks. Good luck.
    Stop by to visit Mr. Beefy on his daily adventures, and watch him grow on FB Mr. #Beefy The life of a English bulldog.....

Remove Ads