What age can bulldog pups start eating bones?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi all, my bulldog is currently on a decent quality dry complete food. He is aged 14 weeks old. Is it safe for him to eat any bones or paddywack?

I am considering putting him on a raw diet.......

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
He can gnaw on soft edible bones as early as weaning age. The dam usually would regurge food including bones for her weaning pups until they grow teeth. At 14 weeks, the pup would be gnawing on his bone without needing the dam to chew it down for him.

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
He can gnaw on soft edible bones as early as weaning age. The dam usually would regurge food including bones for her weaning pups until they grow teeth. At 14 weeks, the pup would be gnawing on his bone without needing the dam to chew it down for him.

would pork bones be fine at his age? I am wondering whether to change him from kibble/meat to a raw diet, i read that feeding raw could stunt his growth....

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
would pork bones be fine at his age? I am wondering whether to change him from kibble/meat to a raw diet, i read that feeding raw could stunt his growth....

Where in the world did you hear that? Dogs have been eating raw for ages... and wild dogs are not smaller than the house dog! Now, of course, if you feed him inappropriate raw foods... like giving him ground beef all day everyday and nothing else, then yeah, your dog will not be able to develop healthy bones. Of if you feed mainly bones with only a bit of meat or feeding bones and meat but with no organs... Whole Prey. That's the meal ticket.

Pork is fine - ribs and neck. No weight-bearing bones. But, I'd start him off with chicken or rabbit first just so he gets his jaw/teeth exercised before handling the denser pork bone.

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
I switched Mr. Beefy over to raw right away. Started out using instinct raw for a week then went full raw. At first he had trouble with chewing the bone, I then gave him chicken wings and that did the trick a couple of weeks. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.