Opinions or experiences on Orijen

Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
I've been on what seems like a never ending battle with miss piggy this week. She lost interest in her wellness core dog food that she was on for several months. I've been to my local pet supply plus in and out literally every day this week exchanging foods because she'd sniff and walk away from it. So far we've tried Fromm beef frittata, TOTW Pacific, earthborn, and they were all no gos. She wasn't having it. I went with my fiancé who is a personal trainer and body builder so knowing the health freak he is, he of course said try the most expensive and most protein one which was orijen regional all red meats. Now I've heard TONS of mixed reviews on high protein foods. Some say it's bad and don't do it, others say it's completely fine as long as the high protein is from a meat source and not a plant. I would like some opinions and to know if any of you other bully moms and dads feed yours this. I only want the best for miss piggy and tonight she actually ate this out of my hand!! She then proceeded to walk to her bowl, sniff and eat her orijen mixed in with the wellness! I was head over heels wine excitement. If she continues to eat like this the next few days I of course want to stick with this food assuming it's the right fit for her health. Any thoughts, opinions or experiences are very appreciated!! Thanks.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
For me, it's not necessarily the amount of protein, but the quality of it. I know a few bullies who are on Orijen and do fantastic. As long as Miss Piggy is eating, drinking and pooping well on the food, I say it's a good choice for her. It's a great brand.

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Thanks for the quick reply! My fiancé said the exact same thing. He of course doesn't know the ins and outs to dog food and research like I've done, so I just wanted to get a few of you expert's opinions on this. I'm hoping some members who have their bullies on this food can comment on this and give me some insight on how their doing. I'll see how she does on it the next few days. Hopefully all goes well!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't know whether a high-protein kibble is better or not - as you say, there seem to be different opinions about this. He ate Orijen Six Fish for a few months. He loved it, and was fine but a bit thin, and his tummy didn't do well when we increased his portions, so eventually we switched to a kibble with less protein (James Wellbeloved lamb and rice). Since the switch from Orijen, Castor has broadened out a bit. But then I don't know if that is only food-related or if he would have broadened out by now anyway (he is ten months old)!

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Castor is so handsome!! Miss piggy is on the orijen regional all red meats and I put about 1/4 mixed in with her wellness core last night and she pooped about 3 times in 2 hours. I'm not sure if it upset her tummy, she acted completely normal and playful like always. I assume I added too much so I'm thinking I'll back off a bit and add less than 1/4 for a week or two and see if she reacts better. Maybe it just takes time to get used to the high protein!

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Castor is so handsome!! Miss piggy is on the orijen regional all red meats and I put about 1/4 mixed in with her wellness core last night and she pooped about 3 times in 2 hours. I'm not sure if it upset her tummy, she acted completely normal and playful like always. I assume I added too much so I'm thinking I'll back off a bit and add less than 1/4 for a week or two and see if she reacts better. Maybe it just takes time to get used to the high protein!

Yes, it will take time. When I started switching Ace to a higher quality kibble, the first 3 days I only sprinkled about 15 kibbles on his food, then gradually went to 1/4 cup, then 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup every 3-5 days. I went very slow to avoid soft stools as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.