AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
Hello friends,

How safe are antlers for dogs to chew on?

I've bought Gino antlers before but I'm always worried that he'll eventually bite off a piece and swallow it. I take his antler away every few minutes to check how close a piece is about to be bitten off and if I find one I'll break it off myself to throw it away. But there are occasions where he'll bite off and swallow a piece before I can get to it.

Are antlers meant to be chewed on for several days, weeks, months? Should I allow him to chew it to the middle?

Thanks!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
They are meant to be eaten. Lola will grind out the marrow first, it will take about a month, and slowly the hard casing goes as well. We will dremel or hammer off small shards that stick out that may be too sharp. If your bully is getting sharp pieces off at the beginning, then the antler is not safe, or maybe is really really old, or not really an antler. they don't normally crack off very easily. A few months per antler is what we go through. we take them away when they get worn down to the point where we can't hold it and Lola can chew at the same time (not that we hold it everytime). We always buy the ones that are split so the marrow shows. Antlers are a hazard for teeth though, Lola had to get a tooth extracted because she cracked it either on an antler or one of those really large super hard nylabones that have a huge knot at the end. Antlers and nylabones are the #1 and #2 reason veterinary dentists have jobs.

OP
AlphaOfGino

AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
They are meant to be eaten. Lola will grind out the marrow first, it will take about a month, and slowly the hard casing goes as well. We will dremel or hammer off small shards that stick out that may be too sharp. If your bully is getting sharp pieces off at the beginning, then the antler is not safe, or maybe is really really old, or not really an antler. they don't normally crack off very easily. A few months per antler is what we go through. we take them away when they get worn down to the point where we can't hold it and Lola can chew at the same time (not that we hold it everytime). We always buy the ones that are split so the marrow shows. Antlers are a hazard for teeth though, Lola had to get a tooth extracted because she cracked it either on an antler or one of those really large super hard nylabones that have a huge knot at the end. Antlers and nylabones are the #1 and #2 reason veterinary dentists have jobs.

appreciate for the input!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep, our guys love them and they slowly chew away at them. Great for the teeth too

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.