Hills z/d for possible allergies

JLR989

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mama
My 6 year old bulldog has been having skin issues and interdigital cysts. My vet has done a skin scrape and concluded it must be from allergies. One option they recommended is to try Hills z/d for a few months to see if it helps. It is a very pricey food, so I am wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what your thoughts are.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Dog Food Ratings Dog Food Ratings

On this page are the lists of dog food. If your dog is eating a dog food that contains grains, that could be causing allergies. Most bullies are fed grain-free foods. Some have problems with foods containing chicken. Most of the the veterinarians will recommend a Hills product because they make a profit if they have it in their establishment. You may want to try some of the better rated foods from the list. Just a suggestion!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Vets also try to push that crap. All you need to do is change his food. It may take several times to fund one that works fir your bully. Look at the ingredients of your food now. If it has corn in it, throw it out and get some that does not have corn in it. If the main protein is chicken, then try a different protein. We have ours on FROMM Pork and Peas and they are doing well on it. We have another young bully that didn't do very well on it, so we tried FROMM Game Bird and she did great in it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would first try a better food. I see on your profile you are currently feeding Rachel Ray Nutrish... Not a good bully food .

Has corn and tons of rice, as well as soybean oil.

These ingredients could be causing skin problems. Please let us know how she is, and I hope changing foods helps her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

JLR989

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mama
I would first try a better food. I see on your profile you are currently feeding Rachel Ray Nutrish... Not a good bully food .

Has corn and tons of rice, as well as soybean oil.

These ingredients could be causing skin problems. Please let us know how she is, and I hope changing foods helps her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did switch to a rachel ray grain free food. Any suggestions of different food? Thanks!

OP
J

JLR989

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mama
I did switch to grain free rachel ray... There are so many options. Any suggestions? Any take on grain free?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yes, try grain free, like wellness, or acana, or fromm. we feed our bulldog natures variety instinct grain free. and when you transition do it slow, like over a two week period including more and more new food each day. and if the new food doesnt improve in a month or two, try the same food (as long as bully didnt get worse) only a different protein source. finding the right food will take some time but so worth it. please dont get frustrated, and don't give up, the right food is out there, but you might have to toss some expensive kibble (or donate it) in the meantime

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, try grain free, like wellness, or acana, or fromm. we feed our bulldog natures variety instinct grain free. and when you transition do it slow, like over a two week period including more and more new food each day. and if the new food doesnt improve in a month or two, try the same food (as long as bully didnt get worse) only a different protein source. finding the right food will take some time but so worth it. please dont get frustrated, and don't give up, the right food is out there, but you might have to toss some expensive kibble (or donate it) in the meantime

:goodpost:

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Quality dog food is expensive for sure, so if it doesn't work out, many stores will allow an exchange. I was thrilled to learn this. Charley had eaten 2/3 of a 28 pound bag of orijen grain free when he got sick to his stomach. The vet took him off it -- too rich she thinks. When I went back to the store to get Acana, which does work better for him, the cashier asked me if I would like to return the old bag. I had it in the car to take to the shelter, so returned it instead. Saved myself $71!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions