Vet Recommendations-unbelievable

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Just wanted to share- my dog was in the vet today to have his stitches removed and the vet thought his hair was coming out to easily when you pet him and she recommended changing foods and his coat would be great. She had 2 recommendations- Purina Pro Plan and Hills Science diet. Now...my wife took my dog to the vet so I wasn't there for this "discussion" My wife just said...OK and went on. I pretty much knew those 2 foods were garbage, but just to make sure, I did a quick search on here and they are both rated 1 star!!!!! lmao, I feed my EBD natures domain, which is fairly high rated- comparable to TOTW. I think I'll stick with my food rather than the recommended garbage. Do your research...just bc the vet recommends it, doesn't mean it's the best choice.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good thing you did your homework, vets get a kickback from those food companies.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I think ALL Vets sell Science Diet and push it, they do get a kickback from it. Our vet sells it but has never suggested it, in fact I think he hates me, LOL, every time he tell's me something I will respond with well................ I belong to this EB group and they said to do it this way, instead of doing what he says, LOL. (Earthbourne Holistic Grain Free Lamb is what I feed)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
None of the vets I've taken Blue to have suggested any specific food. They always ask what I feed and just nod when I tell them.
His regular vet knows Fromm and agrees it's good.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Our vet sells the Hills and SD stuff as well but they don't push it on bully owners because they know the deal as they are bully owners themselves.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
One of my Vets recommended purina pro plan as well so my wife had her maltese on it, tear stains galore when the little fella would eat it. I brought Ace home and at the first Vet visit the Vet asked what I was feeding and at the time I was feeding Canidae but told her that Ace also liked to eat the Maltese's pro plan and she said good for him its a better food. I was tactful but no thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good for you.... So true, vets really do not spend much time on nutrition as they are focused on the medical knowledge they need

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's comments above, and good for you for sticking to your guns. It is true that medical doctors and vets do not get much schooling on nutrition, as they focus more on diagnosing and treating diseases. My two guys were on Royal Canin when we picked them up from the breeder, and both he and the vet assured me that it was a great food. I wasn't convinced based on the ingredients. I had my Jack Russell on Go Natural, and was familiar with this brand, and knew it was a high quality food, was all natural, had human grade chicken and fruits and vegetables, I also liked the fact that it was made in Canada, but it turned out to be too rich for them, and they both got the diarrhea, and after a couple more food changes, we realized that Blossom had allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We switched them to Fromms Beef Frittata when they were 7 months old, and they have been on this brand for 16 months and are doing really well on it. My vets office sells the Royal Canin in her office, but she didn't push it on me, and she agreed that Fromms was an excellent food. She also gave me some information and recipes for home cooked dogfood when I mentioned to her that I home cooked some of their meals.

OP
Buddy32825

Buddy32825

Jan 14, 2014
Oralndo, FL
Country
North America
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks for all the responses y'all! My vets waiting room is filled with SD so I wasn't surprised when she recommended it. I agree with what you all said to regarding their education. I've found this to be the same across the board with Dr.'s and nutrition since I'm into body building. They may spend an afternoon worth of time studying nutrition, however most of their knowledge and training is geared toward what their specialization is. (unless of course it is nutrition, lol) Have a great day!!

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Thanks for all the responses y'all! My vets waiting room is filled with SD so I wasn't surprised when she recommended it. I agree with what you all said to regarding their education. I've found this to be the same across the board with Dr.'s and nutrition since I'm into body building. They may spend an afternoon worth of time studying nutrition, however most of their knowledge and training is geared toward what their specialization is. (unless of course it is nutrition, lol) Have a great day!!

Totally agree! I'm a registered dietitian and specialize in sports nutrition. Sometimes doctors don't agree with the recommendations I make, although my clients still follow it and have great results. Then the doctors ask them what they are doing, and they tell them that they are following my plan with great success. Lol...my vet told me the same thing when I said I was going to switch them to Fromms puppy gold. He said that all the smaller companies use the research from bigger companies and just create formulas with no true science behind it. I disagreed. The ingredient list speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In many country's when studying to be a vet the little nutrition part of the education they have is provided and payed for by the bigger company's.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.