Dog Food Recommended "Dosage" ...

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Every time I read the label on dog food bags, i can't believe what I see. I realize that kibble is considered more "rich", but still. On the back of From Pork & Peas it literally says to give a 30-50lb dog (basically) 2 cups of food for the whole day. How can that possibly be correct? Do you guys realize how very little that is?

I often wonder if a 30lb dog is the same as a 30lb English Bulldog. I don't want Baxter to be obese, but 2 cups just seems nearly starvation-level. Natures logic was the same way. Miniscule quantities of food.

Thoughts?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea gets 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup at night kibble wise and she is a nice little 40lb butterball at 9 months. If we give her any more than that she has explosive poo. However, she does get multiple healthy snacks a day with frozen veggies and her morning and before bed kefir and/or yogurt.

I thought the same thing at first but after watching her I am ok with it. When my ridgeback was alive we switched her to Fromms as well and within a month she looked a lot better and was moving around a lot better. We had her on crap food before where she was getting almost 5 cups a day and on the Fromms she only got 3 cups and still maintained her weight but trimmed a lot of fat and turned it to muscle.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Todd has it .... and, the more filler in a food the more volume you have to feed. Your high quality foods such as fromm has no filler so you feed much less, but it is perfect for them.

Banks has been on Fromm for almost 3 years and I'v always feed her 1 cup 2x a times and she has maintained her 60 lb weight

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Good to know, thanks everyone.

Baxter is having no problems in the "muscle tone" department. He needs to put on weight actually. I wonder if Fromms was the best choice. A little bitta filler here and there might actually help him turn into a butterball.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue is now 60lbs on 2 cups a day of Fromm Salmon Tunalini. So yeah, more than enough and I need to get him back down to 57ish.

Thing is, you don't want Baxter pudgy with his hip issues. It just makes it worse.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Fromm is a great and lean food , I know Baxter lost a lot of weight from being so sick with that obstruction. But lean is actually good, as long as you cannot see his ribs. He will gain back his weight eventually. You can up his food intake to help with calories, or add some oil or maybe cottage cheese. Just watch his poo for signs of too much food. My Pookie is lean cuz he's so active, I've tried giving him extra food but his poo gets soft. He eats. 3 cups a day of Fromm beef frittata. He's actually perfect and nice and fit anyway so I don't bother trying to get him thicker.

My other bulldogs only get 2 cups a day, and two only get 1.5 cups otherwise they get too fat. It really depends on age and metabolism.

Good point [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] on the hip issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Good to know, thanks everyone.

Baxter is having no problems in the "muscle tone" department. He needs to put on weight actually. I wonder if Fromms was the best choice. A little bitta filler here and there might actually help him turn into a butterball.

It's not the amount of food that matters. It's the calorie density. Most low quality foods is not as calorie dense as the higher quality ones. So you'e feeding, say, 3 cups of food for the same calorie content as 2 cups of the high quality ones.

But even then, the feeding guide on the bag is just that - a Guide. You ultimately determine how much to feed your dog depending on your dog's condition. If he's too skinny then increase his caloric intake. If he's too fat, then decrease it.

Butterball English Bulldogs look super cute but can be super unhealthy. So, you'll need to keep them on the leaner side but not skinny - you'll know he's being too much of a butterball if when you're looking from the top, your Bulldog doesn't have much of an indentation where his waist is. Or if you're looking from the side his belly hangs down. Or if you feel his ribs you have to go through a thick layer of fat to feel his ribs. Your bulldog is too skinny if you see his ribs poking out, or when you feel his ribs, all you feel is folds of skin then bone.

It doesn't take long to get him fat/skinny either (unlike me that require years and years of diet before I lose 15 lbs)...

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

You can see his ribs. Thats the problem :(

I don't know how long that obstruction was in there. Might have been months. Might have only been 1 night (we went to the park the day prior to the explosive vomiting, etc).

But he eats a lot, and i can't put weight on him.

The breeder suggested a yogurt. One that is not "low fat". So I have been giving him a scoop of that daily. Seems to be working after a couple weeks.

You can see his ribs less and less now. Felt strange giving him mass quantities of fatty yogurt, so I was thinking to add a kibble. Trying that now (From Pork N Peas)

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June eats 2 cups of Fromm Surf and Turf and is a butterball at 8 months. I can't imagine giving her any more than that (although she would eat it up in a second)! We were giving her a kong with frozen yogurt with peanut butter or bananas, apples, etc. a couple times a week but decided to cut back to only once a week because she's chubby.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I feed a pretty good quality food. I have never gone by what it says on the bags. I just feed each one what I think they should eat, and if they are getting too fat-I cut back. If they need more, I give them more. I give them yogurt on their night time meal. I read the bags for ingredients, but not for amount, because every dog is different.
When I got rescues who needed to gain, I divided their meals into 3 times a day-so they wouldn't eat too much at one time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online