Canidae all stages

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
So we switched from royal canin to canidae all stages for Marley And Jake. Marley doesn't eat some meals and I've noticed jake is getting some discoloration in the whites of hid eyes. I had bought a large bag of royal canin bulldog puppy and took it back because it didn't get that great of reviews. Now I'm concerned about Marley and Jake. This morning jake had a large very soft poo. Should I change again to something else? He did fine on royal canin puppy but I'm so confused about the dog food we need. Marley has eaten everything we've given he before and wondering if canidae is good for her? Any suggestions?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, the soft poo is likely from the food change which is not an unusual symptom; you can add a little pure pumpkin on Jake's food. How long has it been now since they've been on the Canidae? I'm wondering if Marley just doesn't like the taste of the kibble? You can always add a little cottage cheese on top or wet the food a little with warm water (just make sure it's cool enough to eat). I'm not sure about the white of the eye discoloration however. Is it yellow? or can it be allergies? I've had my boys on Canidae in the past and had good experience with this food.

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
I've been adding some Greek yogurt which she loves and she only licks it off. Other times I'll put a little cheese and she picks out the cheese. I just ordered her Fromm beef frittata. She's always been picky but she hasn't hardly eaten at all since the change and I'm worried about her. I'll try some wet food for her and maybe she'll eat it. I won't change her to fromms until I get it and hopefully being a little creative will get her to eat. Otherwise she doesn't appear sick just a picky eater. Thank you for the suggestion.

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Update for Marley - we got the new food we picked Fromm beef frittata. Starting the transition and going good so far! She loves it!! Yay!! Success! By the way jake is getting better as well... On our way to happy and healthy eating!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Update for Marley - we got the new food we picked Fromm beef frittata. Starting the transition and going good so far! She loves it!! Yay!! Success! By the way jake is getting better as well... On our way to happy and healthy eating!

Excellent news! :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tbearlion

Tbearlion

Dec 15, 2013
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Marley
Hmmm went to the vet today and she's never heard of Fromm. She recommended again royal canin bulldog. Due to it being correct metabolically for growing bulldog puppies. She said that other puppy formulas will make them grow too fast and develop joint problems. I'm not sure if I believe this. As I was leaving I saw royal canin on her shelf for sale. She also recommended that Marley go on a diet, sure that's fine. She recommened hills rd. any comments?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hmmm went to the vet today and she's never heard of Fromm. She recommended again royal canin bulldog. Due to it being correct metabolically for growing bulldog puppies. She said that other puppy formulas will make them grow too fast and develop joint problems. I'm not sure if I believe this. As I was leaving I saw royal canin on her shelf for sale. She also recommended that Marley go on a diet, sure that's fine. She recommend hills rd. any comments?

Sad, but the truth is, Vets do not spend much if any time on nutrition so they do not know the foods and the impact. They will push want they sell as it is all they tend to know...Hills or S/D is good for a short term medical need, but do not recommend it be the daily life long food.

You can read our list of dog food recommendations or even go to dogfoodadvisor.com

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Hmmm went to the vet today and she's never heard of Fromm. She recommended again royal canin bulldog. Due to it being correct metabolically for growing bulldog puppies. She said that other puppy formulas will make them grow too fast and develop joint problems. I'm not sure if I believe this. As I was leaving I saw royal canin on her shelf for sale. She also recommended that Marley go on a diet, sure that's fine. She recommened hills rd. any comments?

Sounds like we to go to the same vet, lol. Those were my vets exact words on royal canin. I switched to Fromms puppy gold. My experience has been decent. I still notice some tear staining but not dark red like it was on pro plan. Gonna give it the whole bag (still have prob a months worth), and maybe switch to grain free :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online