Dieting Tips

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I weighed Curly today. He is 63 lbs and almost 7 months. Our last vet visit he was 57 lbs and the vet said to be careful of his weight because he was starting to look on the heavy side. So I was taking him on 2 mile walks per day and giving him 2 cups of food per day. I got him down to 53 lbs

Then I went away on business for two weeks and left the husband in charge. He did not take him on any long walks and upped his food to 3 cups a day :cursing: or so he says. He claimed that his daily wrestling with Curly was enough cardio. ::choose your battles:: Granted Curly's head did grow a lot when I was gone, so I will contribute that to his sudden weight gain.

Needless to say, Curly put on some weight. I'm back in charge now and will be reducing his food back down to 2 cups a day and we will start our long walks again (plus playing throughout the day). Is there anything else I should do to get him down to a healthier weight? Should I be feeding him less than 2 cups?

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Does his food have a recommended feeding guide by weight? I would follow those guidelines. Our bully lost about 10 lbs when we started him on raw food. (Bravo beef blend) He's almost 3 & he weighs 42 lbs. He is lean & muscle-y. The only exercise he gets is walking/running around the yard & sleeping! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cut back on kibble and add frozen green beans as filler. I sometimes do 3/4 cup of kibble with 1/4 cup GB's

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
Well, I can´t help you because I´m in a similar situation. I think Madame is overweight and I walk her twice a day and give her 2 cups of food as well per day. But my husband thinks she is fine and always gives her more food!
The truth is that my vet said she must lose weight and everyone who sees her in the street says she is overweight. But the breeder where I bought her said that she is just fine. Who do I trust?

thanks!

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 168
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Cut back on kibble and add frozen green beans as filler. I sometimes do 3/4 cup of kibble with 1/4 cup GB's

Thanks for the tip! I will try that and keep you posted. It might be difficult with the string beans because my Frenchton is a self declared vegetarian (he even eats Kale!)
[MENTION=4295]hparker37[/MENTION] - Yup. We feed him Fromm's pork and peas and it's 1 3/4 - 2 1/2 cups food for a 30-50 lb dog. I wish I had the time and patience for a raw diet but with 3 dogs + 1 sick older cat + working FT I barely have time to feed myself some days! I wish we had a yard, and I've already requested to my husband that the next place we are stationed at that we need a yard. The walks though are fine because it gives me time to de-brief in the middle of my work day - and it worked for a while there. He just gained so much weight in the 17 days I was gone that I'm back to square one but with more to lose now. LOL I feel like I'm the one who gained 10 lbs.
[MENTION=1607]carol[/MENTION]andmadame this is a horrible example because it's not in an EB form but this is the way you can visually see if your dog is overweight. I would say my Curly is at the "overweight" part of the chart. Luckily he's still young and growing so we can put a halt to it.
tumblr_mnj9bklZVs1qagb0go1_500.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks for the tip! I will try that and keep you posted. It might be difficult with the string beans because my Frenchton is a self declared vegetarian (he even eats Kale!)

My bullies will only eat canned green beans, warmed up w/kibble & a bit of water
for 30 secs in microwave. Try feeding 3/4 cup kibble twice daily with 1/2 cups green
beans and 1/4 cup water & warmed (stimulates appetite). Good luck!

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] thanks! I had seen this kind of example somewhere but I m not sure it aplies for bullies that s why I m so confused. But I would say Madame is heavy as well...I ll try to use a few tips in this post and to control my husband :) Thanks again!

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=1607]carol[/MENTION]andmadame a good touch test is you can feel the ribs when you touch (and not need to press) but still not see the ribs when you look. Even though EB are stocky needs they should have defined muscles

My other two dogs are perfect weight wise I swear Curly has a secret stash of food LOL

@texascarol that's for canned food type. I feel like curly will eat green beans frozen though - he likes carrots and celery (we've been giving him veggies as treats) but if not I will try canned vega

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've already gotten great information from above members. I agree with reducing the food amount to either 1 cup twice a day, or to 3/4 of a cup twice a day, and supplement with green beans or other veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower or carrots. My two guys are almost two years old, and they both weigh 45 lbs. my vet says they should be 40 lbs as it is better for their health, and their joints as they get older. They seem to gain the 2 or 4 lbs in the winter months when they aren't out as much, due to the cold weather. In the summer we walk much more, and they run at the park every morning and evening, so they do lose it in the summer.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Here are a couple of Picsof Curly. He's on the borderline of being a bit too big. If I can get him down to 55 I think he will be perfect

a5u9u7aj.jpg
usahy9er.jpg

carol and madame

Jun 20, 2013
Country
Brasil
Bulldog(s) Names
Madame
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] I feel the ribbs but I have to press a little bit :) yeah...I think she won't scape from diet....
Thanks for the pictures - they are good for comparison - and the tips.
@vikingirl broccoli and caukiflower - good idea !
photo (3).jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Here are a couple of Picsof Curly. He's on the borderline of being a bit too big. If I can get him down to 55 I think he will be perfect

a5u9u7aj.jpg
usahy9er.jpg

sorry if this is out there, but I did not see it..... how old is Curly?

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
He's almost 7 months. He's starting to broaden out a bit now and his head grew a lot in the past 2 weeks. I think I got the top body pick in a good angle when he was holding his front legs out in a wider stance than usual. He usually looks like a sausage lol.

I think he is dancing on the cusp of being normal size and over-weight. I can only feel his ribs if I push kind of hand into his chest.

New pics, what do you think?(sorry about the lighting :) )

paguqaha.jpg
9u3ymaja.jpg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION].. [MENTION=9167]carol and madame[/MENTION].. [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...

A great diet tip is adding Coconut Oil to each meal. It causes the body to
use the food as fuel, quicker & more efficiently. I'd start them slowly, about
1/4 tsp each meal for couple weeks then 1/2 tsp another couple weeks...
until you reach 1 TBSP each meal. Do count in total calories at this amt but
do not freak out about the fact it is a fat, it's a GOOD FAT that doesn't act
like a fat. It also promotes better health in a variety of other ways too. Buy
virgin, organic & cold pressed, I buy mine at Walgreen's...EfaGold, Nature's
Way, 16 oz for about $13, it comes as a solid and just plop it on kibble.

Same benefits for us too :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.