General Question Sweet Potatoes

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
So it seems I know what Gia had an allergic reaction to....I think it was sweet potatoes. I dont think this is a common allergy only because it seems like alot of the grain free foods have sweet potatoes. Has anyone else found their bullys allergic to sweet potatoes??

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Mine do not but I have heard of sweet potatoes as being allergenic to some dogs. There's a lot of sugar in the potatoes and that can contribute to things like yeast infections.

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
I hear everyone talk about Fromms but I cant find one without sweet potatoes and chicken. They all seem to have on or the other. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hear everyone talk about Fromms but I cant find one without sweet potatoes and chicken. They all seem to have on or the other. :(

What about Game Bird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm grain free line.... No chicken and i am
Almost positive ni sweet potatoes

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
Fromm grain free line.... No chicken and i am
Almost positive ni sweet potatoes

Chicken and sweet potatoes :( in the Gamebird recipe. Thanks anyway!

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
anasaja7.jpg
sweet potatoes equal pink chin!

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
If Gia can handle salmon, try the Salmon Tunalini. No sweet potatoes but it does have white potatoes.

Finding the right food for your pup can be a struggle. Good luck :)

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
I thought franklin was to with sweet potatoes but it turned out to be white potatoes the Fromm pork & peas doesn't have the white and its grain free his tear stains got better and the itchiness. are you sure its sweet and not white potatoes

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] she will be 2 in May..she was fine up until about 6 months ago or so...I had her on Proplan shredded chicken from 6 weeks on. I tried Angel Eyes (sweet potato) for her tear stains as recommended by her groomer...WHAT A DISASTER) we used it twice.she had hives, lethargic, swollen ears..had to go to the vets and have a shot and go on steroids for a few weeks. Then I noticed her biting her paws. Typical sign of allergies so I switched from the chicken. Ive tried alot...best result so far was the Natural Balance Duck & Legumes. I wanted to try Blue Buffalo and chose the Lamb and Brown Rice..well two feedings and she was bright pink. I looked on the back and there is sweet potatoes!! So by process of elimination sweet potatoes are a NO. Its very hard to find a food without chicken or sweet potatoes for some reason they seem to have one or the other. I think shes ok with Salmon but I did try the Iams Ocean Fish and she got very pink.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama she will be 2 in May..she was fine up until about 6 months ago or so...I had her on Proplan shredded chicken from 6 weeks on. I tried Angel Eyes (sweet potato) for her tear stains as recommended by her groomer...WHAT A DISASTER) we used it twice.she had hives, lethargic, swollen ears..had to go to the vets and have a shot and go on steroids for a few weeks. Then I noticed her biting her paws. Typical sign of allergies so I switched from the chicken. Ive tried alot...best result so far was the Natural Balance Duck & Legumes. I wanted to try Blue Buffalo and chose the Lamb and Brown Rice..well two feedings and she was bright pink. I looked on the back and there is sweet potatoes!! So by process of elimination sweet potatoes are a NO. Its very hard to find a food without chicken or sweet potatoes for some reason they seem to have one or the other. I think shes ok with Salmon but I did try the Iams Ocean Fish and she got very pink.

food is always such a struggle.... gonna tag a few members that can help you narrow it down. I would not go to Iams, really not a good food at all

OP
Gigi Girl

Gigi Girl

Oct 23, 2013
Rhode Island
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gia
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] the only reason I tried the Iams was because someone at work had recommended it. She said it worked wonders for her dogs allergy so I thought it was worth a try. Its so frustrating because im paying about $60 for a 25lb bag of dog food, yet she can eat french doors, remote controls like they are going out of style lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yet she can eat french doors, remote controls like they are going out of style lol

and not get sick, right?? :facepalm:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.