Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hello, we're switching our puppy's food and after hours and hours of research I wanted to go w/Fromm puppy until he turned one. My hubby went to the pet store to pick it up and the guy talked him out of Fromm and talked him into a food called "Pioneer Naturals". I haven't been able to find anything about this food on here, or even much online for EBDs. One thing I read, the protein content was 30% (I think, I could be wrong) and that seems high for this breed. I'm not sure about this because I don't have many opinions to go on, but the man at the pet store highly recommended it...Anyone know anything about it?

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
There are quite a few flavors, which one did you get to check the ingredient list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Also, I'm no expert on dog food, but i noticed that all the foods first ingredient consisted of a protein "meal" such as chicken meal, venison meal, buffalo meal, etc. If I'm not mistaken, we should look for those that have a pure protein first such as strictly chicken, venison, etc. I may be wrong, the pros will chime in.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
It's Pork and the first ingredient is "Pork Meal". I think you are right about first ingredient being strictly protein, I'm afraid of adding anything in though w/the "crude protein" being 28%. He's seems to be doing really well on it, but it's only been 2 feedings. What I've noticed is his energy is higher, his eyes are whiter and more alert - but still has tear stains (reason for switching from Blue Wilderness). I think I"ll stick w/this for a while as long as he's not showing any allergy signs - but I'm still leaning toward Fromm when he's 6-12 months as it's a top on here. Thx for responding, appreciate it!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June had tear stains even while on Fromm Puppy so we switched her to the grain free all-stages Fromm food (Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf) at about 5 months and her stains are gone!. Her eyes still water but her face is all white now. Check and see if Pioneer has a grain free food??

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
30% protein is great! In kibbles, the higher the protein content the better especially if it comes from animal source instead of plant.

Regarding Meal versus whole. The main difference is that the meal is rendered meat - that is, they take the meat, cook it so that all the moisture content of the meat evaporates and all that is left is the dry matter - it gets baked into a meal powder.

Now, when you're looking at dog food ingredients, having whole meat as the first ingredient, let's take pork for example, and then peas as the next ingredient becomes questionable on whether you are getting more peas than pork. Because, the list is in volume by weight BEFORE it is cooked. Pork is 70% moisture... so in the cooking process all that moisture evaporates (has to be dry to make kibble) and all you are left is 30% of that pork left in the kibble. Peas is high protein... so when the bag says 30% protein content, it's questionable whether most of that protein is from the plant instead of the animal. Protein from plants is not as bio-available as protein from animals, so you may be getting inferior protein in the kibble.

Now, if your first ingredient is Pork Meal and the 2nd ingredient is peas, you are guaranteed that your protein content on that bag of kibble comes mostly from that pork meal because the volume of pork that is left in the kibble from the cooking process is close to 100% of the pork meal - because the meal is already dry to start off with. Make sense?

Now, of course, not all Meals are created equal. Note that Meals are a product of the rendering process and lots of rendering plants get their meat from things such as slaughterhouse waste and roadkill. So, just like everything else, you want your meals to have an identifiable meat source... for example Pork Meal and Chicken Meal are a higher quality than Animal Meal or Meat Meal or Poultry Meal. And you don't want anything that says By-Products - like Chicken Meal By-Product. But Pork Meal and Chicken Meal - just fine. Especially if you trust the company that makes the kibble.

Hope this helps.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
30% protein is great! In kibbles, the higher the protein content the better especially if it comes from animal source instead of plant.

Regarding Meal versus whole. The main difference is that the meal is rendered meat - that is, they take the meat, cook it so that all the moisture content of the meat evaporates and all that is left is the dry matter - it gets baked into a meal powder.

Now, when you're looking at dog food ingredients, having whole meat as the first ingredient, let's take pork for example, and then peas as the next ingredient becomes questionable on whether you are getting more peas than pork. Because, the list is in volume by weight BEFORE it is cooked. Pork is 70% moisture... so in the cooking process all that moisture evaporates (has to be dry to make kibble) and all you are left is 30% of that pork left in the kibble. Peas is high protein... so when the bag says 30% protein content, it's questionable whether most of that protein is from the plant instead of the animal. Protein from plants is not as bio-available as protein from animals, so you may be getting inferior protein in the kibble.

Now, if your first ingredient is Pork Meal and the 2nd ingredient is peas, you are guaranteed that your protein content on that bag of kibble comes mostly from that pork meal because the volume of pork that is left in the kibble from the cooking process is close to 100% of the pork meal - because the meal is already dry to start off with. Make sense?

Now, of course, not all Meals are created equal. Note that Meals are a product of the rendering process and lots of rendering plants get their meat from things such as slaughterhouse waste and roadkill. So, just like everything else, you want your meals to have an identifiable meat source... for example Pork Meal and Chicken Meal are a higher quality than Animal Meal or Meat Meal or Poultry Meal. And you don't want anything that says By-Products - like Chicken Meal By-Product. But Pork Meal and Chicken Meal - just fine. Especially if you trust the company that makes the kibble.

Hope this helps.

:up: :goodpost:

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Pioneer is grain free and the reason why the pet store guy talked my husband out of Fromm was because of the potato..(?) He said yam would be better... that was a lot of great info above anatess, thank you! So glad I have a great site to refer to when I'm researching!!!:judges:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looking at the ingredients I say that food is a big thumbs up! Let us know how it works for you. :2thumbs:

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank you, I will! I can tell you one thing, Sebastion's poops have never looked better :giggle:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thank you, I will! I can tell you one thing, Sebastion's poops have never looked better :giggle:

LOL! Yeah, I know it is odd that we get excited over our dogs' poop... but can't help it! I admit to having taken a picture of my dog's poop and posting it on the internet. Hah hah.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
That is too funny, I text my hubby almost daily about his poops and he even told me to take a pic and post, lol...didn't think anyone else would appreciate it the way I do though :lmao:

Marubadu

Jul 27, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy
I had switched John snow to Fromms from taste of the wild (salmon) I tried the salmon and Tunalini first and that gave him brown gunky and watery eyes. Then I tried Pork and peas and he broke out with little bumps on his skin. I returned that and was going to try the Beef Fritatta but when I asked the owner he steered me to the Pioneer as well. Hopefully this will be the ticket. Will follow up with results.

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
So how is the Pioneer Naturals working for those of you who switched to it recently? I just switched to Pioneer Naturals Grain and Potato free Whitefish food for Lola. It was highly recommended at the local pet store. I'm really hoping it will clear up her red itchy skin because switching From Fromm's Beef Fritatta back to Taste of The Wild High Prairie Puppy didn't work like I thought it would.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
[MENTION=10711]pcchenard[/MENTION] I'm sorry that I didn't see this before. We stayed with Pioneer a few months, but the gas was too much to bear (for us) :bad:
I went with Fromm like I had originally wanted to...we have been in a tear stain battle however, so I experimented every so often with a different kibble...TOTW (did not go over well w/my boy) and now I just started Brothers Complete. I am only on day 3, so we will see how this goes (blogging about it :smoochwink:) .... but I am pretty sure we will end up going Raw. Out of all the Kibbles, however, Pioneer was best for his eyes!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.