Best Time to Start Transitioning Out of Puppy Food?

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, I recently switched my 26 week bully from Pedigree Puppy mix to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Mix. I am at the process of fully transitioning her over (in the two week new food transition stage) from Pedigree Puppy to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, and am wondering what is the proper age to stop feeding her puppy mixes. I will have to buy another bag of dog food either tonight or tomorrow, and am wondering if I should go ahead and purchase the 11 lb. bag, or the bigger 24 oz. bag of puppy mix. Either way, I am afraid after this week I will be out so I plan on ordering some off Pet Flow ASAP. I'm afraid the nearest pet store that sells Blue Buffalo is a distance away and was wondering if anyone who has ordered off Pet Flow before had any stories on how quickly they ship to you. I live in Indiana so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I also believe there was a free shipping and $25 promo code listed on here before? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!,

Bryan

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi Bryan, Bella is adorable! We're "newbies" too so can't offer too much, but I did want to ask if you noticed any tear stains (either developing or darkening) while on Blue? We just switched from Blue Wilderness Puppy to a new food last night because I noticed our boy's tear stains getting darker and longer and after a week or two treating them I just decided to switch foods... Just curious, good luck w/your transition! laurie

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My vet told me to switch over to adult food at 7mos. So you should be right there. Is your baby on the high side of 6mos? If so you should be able to go over to adult food.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Bryan, our vet recommends changing puppies from puppy food to an adult dog food formula when they are 6 or 7 months old, so you should be fine to switch Bella over now.

OP
Bryan4Bella7

Bryan4Bella7

Dec 26, 2013
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Okay. I am thinking about getting her on Fromm's then, because yes, as Laurie asked the question above I am noticing some darker tear stains I believe. I have also thought about cutting her portions down from two cups a day (1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm) to 3/4 a cup in the morning and 3/4 a cup at night. I am concerned because Bella seems to enjoy the food, but at the same time develops tears and seems exhausted due to high calcium and protien I was told in each serving of Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy. I believe it is a good puppy brand food, but it is so good in fact it is rich in nutritions and I feel like I am feeding her too much everyday because of it.

Right now I am in the transition of finally switching her over but since I noticed the tears developing a little more I am considering ordering a bag of Fromm's today.

If anyone has any suggestions on a bag of Fromm's I can start her on for a 6 month old puppy, let me know! I plan on continue feeding her the blue wilderness in the meantime.

Thanks!,
Bryan

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We switch our pups to adult food around 7 months of age.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
From what I've read on here Pork and Peas Grain Free is a huge success, so that may be a good one. Let me know how it goes, that is the one I'm switching too once it's adult food time and I'd love feedback!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can switch to All life stages earlier, but I prefer to stick with puppy food until they are around 7-10 months old. The ALS foods are so much leaner.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.