new member, First Post NEED SOME HELP PLEASE LOL!!

Frankie4298

Jan 25, 2014
Windsor Ontario Canada
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
My name is Rick, I have a 3 year old EB named Frankie. We've had him since 9 weeks old and we love him to death. Bullies personalities are like no other dogs and he makes us laugh on a daily basis:D. Now , since he was a puppy we had trouble finding a grain free kibble food that was working for us, we first tried acana wild prairie, then taste of the wild salmon, and then a couple more after that and always had the same result, loose stools and scabby skin, ear and paw infections. we knew there was an allergy issue and I was thinking it was yeast since the first 3 foods had potatoes. the 4th food did not have potatoes but stools were still loose that we finally gave up and started feeding homemade raw food. his homemade of consisted of chicken backs carrots parsley a little olive oil and garlic. this did wonders for him, skin cleared up and not one ear or paw infection since and this has been a year now. I feed him beef and turkey meat couple times a month but he eats chicken mostly. I know this is not the proper way to feed raw and he is not getting the proper balance of nutrients by just feeding chicken. Now for the problem, Frankie threw up a few times and had loose stools over the last few days right after starting a new batch of chicken food that I made. so now I'm not sure if there was something bad in the food or is he now allergic to chicken???? I made some more chicken( used different chicken than the one he got sick off of) but cooked it through and he's been eating the cooked chicken for 2 days with much improvement and no throwing up. so i'm thinking the previous chicken was bad?? also with full time jobs and my wife expecting or first child in 6 months feeding raw will become too time consuming so I'm debating to go back to kibble. I was thinking Natures instinct low ingredient diet line which has no potatoes but in not sure how to transition him to this food. They also have wet food and raw food patties that I would also consider using. should I feed the raw patties first and then slowly add kibble or ???? back when I was feeding him kibble he was getting 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups twice a day but we were taking him for walks almost daily. was this too much food maybe causing the loose stools? 'Im very overwhelmed when it comes to food ive been reading on forums for hours and I think its just confused me even more . thanks for any help

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm going to tag some people w/raw experience, I have never fed raw to my bullies before… I switched my dogs from Blue Wilderness to Fromm's grain-free and had pretty good luck w/that. Loose stool is defiantly a sign of allergies or overfeeding… along w/redness in the face, paws, etc… I know that some people on here feed the raw patties so that may be an option for you. Food is a continuous jungle for these bullies, it never seems to end… Good luck & please keep us posted on Frankie's progress!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Welcome to EBN! I would not switch him to kibble cause he vomited a couple of times. You haven't had a single good experience on kibble and I think even more time consuming than preparing raw food is taking care of a sickly dog. Pre-made raw patties sound like a great solution for you and your bully. Good luck and congratulations on the first child too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you plan on switching to kibble, I personally would go to bland diet for a few days, because raw and kibble digest so differently. Then slowly add in the kibble.

It is worth a shot, if it doesn't work you can go back to the raw you are doing.

As far as the bad batch of food, it sure sounds like that was the problem!

Overfeeding is one of the MOST common reasons for diarrhea! Funny how no vet ever tells that to a patient though.....

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Rick, yes, overfeeding could have been the reason for diarreah. A good
kibble is normally fed to an adult bully as 1 cup twice daily. As some bullies
are 5-6 and beyond if prone to overweight, can feed 3/4 cup kibble with
1/2 cup or more of unsalted green beans. I'm doing this w/my overweight
Cami, turning 6 y/old. You can continue to feed cooked chicken w/veggies
and add good muti/vit daily and be balanced out or do the raw patties.
Add 1 TBSP canned pure pumpkin (not the pie mix) to each meal during
switch over should help firm poop. Good luck & let us know~GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just going to say :welcome3: and you have some good options from the members.... good luck with Frankie and congrats on your coming baby

OP
Frankie4298

Frankie4298

Jan 25, 2014
Windsor Ontario Canada
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
so Thursday was the last day Frankie got sick, since Thursday evening hes been eating cooked boneless chicken to settle his stomach, also taking a medication the vet gave me to help with diareea. His stools are still like soft serve. im thinking possibly hes allergic to chicken now? trying some cooked pork today with some pure pumkin to see if that helps. any advice? I want to get his stools back on track before I start introducing the NVI LID kibble.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would continue w/the bland diet for a few more days, I would think the meds would be working by now. You could try sirloin or ground beef… many bullies are allergic to chicken. I would say the pork would be good choice as well. I hope he feels better soon… keep us posted!!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie is gorgeous!!! LOVE the teefers… LOL ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Frankie is a handsome boy!!
frank3.jpg
rr10-e-presley.jpg He has ELVIS' SMILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope he is feeling better!!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
oh my he is just so cute I love that face!!!! my franklin has a bad time with white potatoes I thought it was all potatoes but only the white the new grain free Fromm pork & peas doesn't have the white and he's been doing great on it plus I give him raw honey in the morning for allergies he has stopped licking is feet his tear stains are looking great he is not itchy anymore I think I finally found the right combo good luck on finding the right food

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Fromm is a great food and has several different grain free options. Orion never use to be allergic to chicken.....all of a sudden she is. Allergies can change. Good luck and congrats!

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
HI WELCOME....I'm a Canuck Too .Living in Waterloo ....
I have a 10 month EB,,Ellie ..she was having problems with some scabies .. an redness.

She was on Royal canine ,but after taking some good advise from the great people in this site .I changed
Fromm food first Duck ,,,,then salmon....Then Pork and peas,,the fist two we still seen some red skin,,,,but the
pork and peas is great ..nice shinny coat...no scabies ..clean ears,,,Hard poopies ...
I get it at Ren's Pet Food..

Attachments

• 100_0475.jpg
    100_0475.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN1073 (2).jpg
    DSCN1073 (2).jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 122
OP
Frankie4298

Frankie4298

Jan 25, 2014
Windsor Ontario Canada
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
it sounds like the fromm pork and peas is a pretty successful food as well but im trying to stay away from the potatoes for now just to see. think im going to try the NVI LID line not sure what flavor just yet. I fed him cooked lean ground pork this morning and a couple hours later he had bad cannon butt. not sure if that was the porks doing or the chicken from the day before. I don't know how fast dogs digestive systems are. fed him some cooked pork again just now but half the amount and added some pure pumpkin to see if that helps. I feel soo bad for him :( . he is playing and seems to be normal tho.

Most Reactions