Why is my bulldog hyper drooling? Can it be a switch in his food?

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Hello all,

Hooch had to change his food two days ago because the company that makes his grain free food is presently having some type of problems with supplying a certain ingredient. It seems to be a reputable company, I checked out all that I could online before putting Hooch on a grain free diet related to allergies. He has been on this food for approximately six months now with good results, but because I was unable to purchase the venison and lamb brand I had to change him over to salmon and herring mix and was unable to introduce him slowly to the new mix. He really seemed to like the new mix, which is made by the same company, and I haven't noticed any change in bowel movements or noticed any episodes of vomiting. I just noticed that today he is having bouts of excessive drooling and keeps using his tongue in a licking motion to help him swallow his own salivia. He presently is resting on the couch beside me and seems to be okay (he is sleeping) but so far he is not interested in eating anything. Could this all be food related? Has anybody else had this happen? I don't think it's an emergency type situation and certainly would take him to my vet if I think it becomes emergent. Any comments and information will be greatly appreciated. Shamrock13 and Hooch

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be he has an upset tummy from the fish.... my girl can not handle fish type foods. I will tag a few others that may be better to help

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
hmm.. no idea. it could be the food i guess. can you call your vet and get their opinion?

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hmmm, I'm feeling uneasy about this, could be obstruction, could Hooch
have eaten something he shouldn't have? Is there missing items (socks, etc)
or toys or toy parts? Is he whining, panting, restless?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm curious, did he not get a slow transition? Upset tummy can cause drooling.... and obstruction like stated above. Sure hope he feels better :hug:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
For us drooling meant few things swallowing something ,nausea or bloat -if it doesn't stop by morning i would see a vet -to be on a safe side even if it is upset tummy
Look for pale gums and any signs of "not being with it!" Trying to vomit ,also If there is swelling of the abdominal see your vet asap

Last edited:
OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
ty for all of the responses. Presently he seems like it has stopped. I gave him a few of his grain free bisquits which he ate and tolerated without any problems. I do suspect that it could be the fish in his new food. I also gave him a pepcid ac a few hours ago. I will head back to my pet supply store and return the small bag of food I purchased and either try to get the original food he was on if they have it now, or try another grain free food by the same company that doesn't contain fish. He is not showing any signs of distress and in t in the yard with my other dog Sadie running around and playing . Again, ty everyone for your quick responses. Me and Hoochie really appreciate it. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
ty for all of the responses. Presently he seems like it has stopped. I gave him a few of his grain free bisquits which he ate and tolerated without any problems. I do suspect that it could be the fish in his new food. I also gave him a pepcid ac a few hours ago. I will head back to my pet supply store and return the small bag of food I purchased and either try to get the original food he was on if they have it now, or try another grain free food by the same company that doesn't contain fish. He is not showing any signs of distress and in t in the yard with my other dog Sadie running around and playing . Again, ty everyone for your quick responses. Me and Hoochie really appreciate it. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Very often, it is the preservatives used in the fish foods that actually cause distress.
And chicken too, studies have proven many dogs do not have any problems with fresh
fish & fresh chicken. I agree, try same brand of former kibble with different protein.
Please let us know...GOD bless

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I was going to suggest the same thing, either the fish, my female is allergic to salmon, or drooling is also a sign of obstruction, but I just read that it seems to have subsided, and he's doing better, I'm glad he's doing better.

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Again ty everybody who responded to my post. He has had no further episodes of excessive drooling. I was able to return to the pet store where I buy his food. They let me return the bag I purchased. Luckily for me, somebody returned the Manitouk brand he has been on (it was only a five pound bag though). I decided to also purchase another 5 lb bag of grain free food with a chicken protein instead of fish. This way I am able to mix his usual brand with the new chicken based food for a slow transition until this company is able to supply the brand he has been on. According to the clerk at the store, the owner of the company who makes Hooch's brand of food states that the Manitouk brand will be available again in the middle of february. Again Hoochie and I thank you all for your care, concern, and responses. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.