need advice for my bulldog

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
hi, when i received my bulldog he was 2 months old. the breeder i got him from was feeding him royal canin. after reading some concerning information on royal canin i decided to switch him to fromms puppy food (pink bag). i switched him over on the 26th of december (wasn't aware it was supposed to be a slow transition just started feeding him fromms all together). well its been almost a month and my bulldog is still experiencing diarrhea. every morning i take him out he poops and its very hard/firm(looks normal). he poops about 3 times a day and the 2 other poops are always diarrhea. not sure what i need to do. help would be very appreciated!! :( hate to see my baby hurting

IMG_1003.jpg

Last edited:
OP
L

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
i feed him 2 cups of fromms food per day. one at 9am another at around 6pm

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, he should be used to the new food by now, since it's been almost a month. A slow transition is best when switching foods, and it should take 2 to 2 1/2 weeks, but even without the slow transition, he should be over the diarrhea by now. So there may be other issues, my first question is how much food are you feeding Louie? It is best to feed a puppy 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day, 1 cup in the morning, 1 cup in the afternoon, and 1 cup in the evening. Every puppy is different and 1 cup may be too much, and you can try to reduce it to 3/4 of a cup of kibble 3 times a day. The poops should be firm but soft, not like soft serve, and he should go 2 to 3 times a day. The Fromm's puppy food and the Fromm's adult formulas are both excellent choices, but the puppy formula is a chicken based food, and a lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken.

OP
L

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
what should i do if he is allergic to the chicken in the fromms puppy food? he's not abnormally red nor does he lick his paws or itch profusely. he just went outside a took another diarrhea poop :(. its killing me to see him like this :(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The first thing you can try is adding some pure pumpkin, not the pie filling. You can buy it in canned form from a pet food retailer, like PetValu, Petsmart, or Rens. It works for both diarrhea or constipation. Maybe give the Fromms puppy a little more time, like a week or two, it an take up to a month for the old food to leave their systems. If it doesn't resolve itself, and he still doesn't seem to tolerate the new food, you can try going directly to the Fromms adult Beef Frittata food, all of the Fromms formulas are considered an all stages food, which you can transition to and change between flavours without having to do a slow transition. Unfortunately sometimes finding the right food, that is both nutritional and that they tolerate is trial and error, and can be frustrating, but when you find it it's great. I had to switch my guys 4 times before we found the Fromms Beef. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10613]Louiethebulldog[/MENTION] you are feeding him a little too much, back off his food a little and his poops will harden up. That is a good indication on how much to feed when they are pup. Poop too hard feed a little more, poop too soft back it down just a little until you reach that happy medium.

OP
L

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] how much should I be feeding a 4 month old bulldog. And at what time would you suggest.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Like stated in earlier post, I would try decreasing by 1/4 cup. Try 3/4 cup morn and 3/4 cup evening. I've been reading that even if the bag says a certain serving, they are just a general recommendation. Go by what your bully requires. I wanna say that a good sign is that he does have firm stools at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Great advice above. I like that pic of Louie! He's got a look on his face like, "you talking to me?"

:lmao:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=10613]Louiethebulldog[/MENTION] we feed our pups three times a day until they are about 6 to 7 months of age, then we go to twice a day. I would start with about 1/2 cup or so three times a day. If his poop is hard then increase the amount by just a little bit. Maybe between 1/2 and 3/4 cups.

GreyFeather

Jan 25, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Todd
Just my two cents with this.

Todd went through the same thing. His morning poop was usually ok, everything after...yikes.
It turned out that (at least for him) it was because he had allergies/sensitivities---his morning poop would be ok because he would of have time with nothing 'bad' for him in his gut. Plus sleeping meant it would sit in his intestines longer and reabsorb some of the water/it would have time to settle.

But every poop after that (because he'd have treats/chews/kibble etc that bothered him from breakfast onwards) would be hit/miss. Not always liquid, but at best soft serve ice cream consistency.

I switched his food, eliminated the chews/treats that seemed to give him problems and so far, so good. His poops look better than ever, completely normal (which is good! because summer and grass is coming....picking up liquid poops...not so great).
If it helps, Todd's current list of no-no's includes grain, soy, eggs, chicken and maybe pork. I'm still eliminating suspects (basically...if soft serve or bad gas happens, it's a no-go) and reintroducing things to see how he handles them one at a time.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
I feed diesel royal canin, I live in the uk and from what I can gather 50% of bulldog owners use it. I know that product isn't scored highly on most sites but I am in the opinion that if it ain't broke don't change it. His coat is nice and soft, poo is hard, no wind, etc

What was his poo like before you changed ? If it was hard then you know.
Food for dogs is like food for humans ( different foods affect us differently )

Let us know

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Has he had a fecal test done to rule out parasites, giardia , or coccidia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Louiethebulldog

Dec 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
he did okay on royal canin, might have to go back to it if all else fails. i did indeed do the fecal test on him everything came back negative. i just purchased fromms beef fritatta food thinking about trying that. ive cut his feeding back to 3/4cups a day but he still had diarrhea this morning/afternoon. :(

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
You know what to do. Get him stable
If you want to change from royal canin later down the line you know now its a small mixing a little in and do it over a week or month apposed to the complete change over night.
Good luck
J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.