NEED HELP... Upset belly... Need food advice

hanksmomma

Aug 10, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
HANK
Ok so hank is my bully and he has had stomach issues since he was a baby, he is currently on lamb and oatmeal blue buffalo puppy he will be one year next month. His stools are ups and downs one day they are solid the next they are very runny,, I did do chicken and rice recently for the past 4 days and it clogged him up, he was not gassy and only pooped once a day also I have fed him twice a day instead of three times but i slowly just put him back to his food and he is gassy and has runny stools. any suggestions for a sensitive stomach food>??? Im not sure how much longer I can take it!:w00t::(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: not sure if this is the right place to post under…. but I NEED HELP

Going to tag a few food knowledgable members to try and help you ...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

When we got our rescue we were told he had a sensitive stomach and they had him on science diet sensitive stomach. I since switched him to Merrick with no issues, but maybe you can try the SD?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

I am not real good in this area myself and Christine has tagged some members to help.

OP
hanksmomma

hanksmomma

Aug 10, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
HANK

yes i thought about trying sience diet i feel so bad for him it gets to the point where he wines and moans like his belly hurts i hate seeing him like that! I did try the I. D. food brand canned and he does ok but i am thinking of switching his food completely!

thank you!

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly

When we got curly the breeder was feeding him Royal Canin. We switched him to Blue Wilderness Salmon and his stool never really adjusted to Blue - he was on it for 2 months.

We decided to switch to Fromms pork and peas because we suspected a Salmon allergy (he was turning pink and licked a lot). When we switched his food his stool became firm within a week. We haven't had problems since and he has been on it for about 4 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly

Btw curly use to whine a lot when he was pooing and on blue too. It is a good brand of food but it just didn't work for him. Try switching foods. It may help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

yes i thought about trying sience diet i feel so bad for him it gets to the point where he wines and moans like his belly hurts i hate seeing him like that! I did try the I. D. food brand canned and he does ok but i am thinking of switching his food completely!

thank you!

SD is good short term to get them stable, but you are right about finding the right food instead of going SD. Hang on those with more knowledge will be along shortly.... I tagged a few

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please...NO SCIENCE DIET...it is crap!

Put Hank on adult food, incorporate change slowly, a small amount of new to
small amount of old over a month's time. Start 1/4 new to 3/4 old, than 50/50
than 1/4 old to 3/4 new...it takes at least 4-6 weeks until any food completely
clears from gut once stopped. Add 1 TBSP pure pumpkin (not the pie mix) to
each feeding, will help firm up poop. Also...helps with constipation too :)

He's gassy from eating grain (oatmeal) so put him on a grain free food, feed
TWICE daily.

Blue Buffalo seems a bit rich so try different brand. I feed TOTW Grain Free
Bison & Venison but Fromm's Pork & Peas works well for most bullies. TOTW
is a bit less expensive :)

Good luck and let us know how Hank does and what works for him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would definitely change his food, plus if you feed Jim too much food his poop will be soft. Try 3/4 cup twice a day and see if that helps, once you change foods. If it helps then slowly increase the amount until he has soft poop again then back it down a bit.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

thank you!

I would avoid any canned food. In my experience it aggravates diahrrea.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't think SD is a good long term solution but maybe until he settles down? I feed merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato. Good luck.

OP
hanksmomma

hanksmomma

Aug 10, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
HANK
Oh my! so many options! thank you all so so much! it normally results in a vet visit and some pills to calm his stomach and help with his poop. I am deff. going to get canned pumpkin and switch his food ..right now he gets 1 cup one in morning and one at night so maybe less? today was the first day back on BB. So tomorrow it is off to get some new food, and hopefully a fixed belly!

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Lamb and duck are both way too rich for our girls..major runs. We switched to a bison and sweet potato formula and never have had an issue since and no blue buffalo!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It almost sounds like he is certainly allergic to an ingredient in his food.... especially since it firmed up so nice on the chicken and rice. How many brands have your tried, and which proteins? 2 cups a day doesn't sound like too much food to me. Is he pooping out more than he's taking in? If so, totally sounds like his digestive system is not absorbing the food and nutrients properly.

About 12 years ago, one of my bullies named Sarah was eating a chicken based puppy food. When she became an adult, I switched her to Lamb adult formula, and her poo was so soft and she could not even hold it, she was barely eating any food yet pooping a ton! It was soooo gassy and stunk!!!

Luckily, I had a son who was allergic to milk and had the exact same problem just that same year, his poop was so filled with air and gas that it expanded and twice as much was going out that what he was taking in, so I knew immediately she was having a digestive reaction to the new food. We had her food allergy tested and she was soooo allergic to lamb!!!

My suggestion would be to change that food completely, just to see if it is something in the food. Bland diet in between the switch would be a good idea, to clean out his digestive system.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online