What is better Salmon oil or coconut oil?

DozerDad

Dec 30, 2013
Can I have some input from everyone that has used both?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
DozerDad

DozerDad

Dec 30, 2013
I need to add I have a 5 month old with what seems to be a grass allergy and has an occasional skin irritation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
We have been giving Hulk coconut oil for a lil over a month. We haven't tried salmon oil because we don't want him to have fish breath lol. The coconut oil has really helped his breath while teething. His coats beautiful but he I'd also a puppy and we didn't have problems with it before we started the coconut oil. I've used coconut oil on his nose if it looks dry and he also had a scratch on his back leg I used it on and it cleared up great and fast.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to say he's a lil over 5 months old

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We used to give both to Harlea but we stopped the Salmon oil a few months ago as we noticed she was starting to get tear stains and stopping the Salmon oil cleared them up. She still gets her daily dose of coconut oil with her evening meal and we rub it on her belly when she gets a rash after the grass has been freshly cut.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We on the other hand never used coconut oil but we used salmon oil before switching to food containing salmon -no tear stains as yet and lilly is just over 9 months old now -but i guess it all depends on a dog

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
How do you give them the coconut oil? Do you melt it first??

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
How do you give them the coconut oil? Do you melt it first??

When we put it on Harlea's food we just melt it with a bit of warm water as it is a solid below 76 degrees. However, most of the time we just give her frozen chips of it that we have made using a pastry bag and a silicone baking pad.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
When we put it on Harlea's food we just melt it with a bit of warm water as it is a solid below 76 degrees. However, most of the time we just give her frozen chips of it that we have made using a pastry bag and a silicone baking pad.

How much a day? Thanks for the information

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I just had a conversation with my vet about this. Dudley has hip displaysia (sp). I had put him on Cosequin last summer - before I even knew about the hips. I was giving him Coconut oil -- I just scoop out a teaspoon and drop it on his food. He LOVES it. He'll eat it off the spoon. My vet said to also give him the Salmon oil -- you get the full benefits of the coconut oil when the Salmon oil is added. So now, he gets both.

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
We melt the coconut oil then put it in ice cube trays in the fridge then take them out to store in storage containers. We give hulk about 1/3-1/2 of the cube. We usually put it in his kong bone so he has to work for it lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Different omega oil sources
Learn more about different omega oil sources like krill oil, fish oil, hemp seed oil and coconut oil for dogs and their differences.

Benefits of krill oil for dogs vs. benefits of fish oil for dogs

ā€œWhat is Krill ?ā€ you might ask? Krill are small crustaceans that are found in all the worldā€™s oceans. Krill oil is often compared to fish oil for dogs as a source of Omega fats. Researchers found that krill oil is greatly superior to fish oils for dogs when it comes to influencing genes. Also krill oil is absorbed better in the body than fish oil (source). Genes have switches that can be turned on and off and that way they control virtually every biochemical process in the body. Fatty acids like Omega-3 fats control those switches. It is often said that ā€œfish oil for dogs / salmon oil for dogs is best for dog nutritionā€ but that is not true. Cheap pet supplies contains fish oil for dog. It does not make it better if it says ā€œsalmon oil for dogsā€. Benefits of fish oil are often praised without knowledge of better products.

The study made with humans found that, although both fish oil and krill oil contain Omega-3s, they are significantly different in how they affect metabolism genes. We know that studies made with humans are not exactly comparable with the dogs fatty acids but since there are not many studies made with animals, we can presume the effects are similar in both. Essential fatty acids foods for dogs sold mostly contain cheap fish oil.

Please do note that fish body oils are not the same as fish liver oils. Surely fish liver oils contains essential fatty acids, but they contain very high amounts of vitamin D. Your dog has a much lower requirement for vitamin D than humans. Overdose of Vitamin D will eventually result in urinary stones and mineralization and calcification of tissues and organs. Benefits of fish oil is much lower than krill oil for dogs and there are also notable fish oil side effects.

Benefits of krill oil over benefits of fish oil:

Enhances glucose metabolism in the liver
Promotes lipid metabolism
Helps regulate the mitochondrial respiratory chain
Decreases cholesterol synthesis, (fish oil increases it)
Krill oil may be 48 times more potent than fish oil (source)
Fish oil is quite prone to oxidation, and oxidation leads to the formation of free radicals. Consuming free radicals further increases your need for antioxidants. Fish oil is weak in antioxidant content, whereas krill oil is rich in antioxidants. Krill oil contains astaxanthinā€”probably the most potent antioxidant in natureā€”which is why it is so stable and resistant to oxidation.
Many, if not most, fish and fish oil are now contaminated with mercury and other heavy metals, even fish that is thousands of miles away from coal plants and other environment-polluting industries. Antarctic krill is not prone to this contamination.
Krill is also far more sustainable source as a fatty acids foods for dogs than is fish because itā€™s the largest biomass in the world, making krill harvesting one of the most sustainable practices on the planet.
Source Dr. Mercola

Example krill oil product

Fish oil for dog is often said to be good base for fatty acids foods for dogs due they are good source EPA and DHA, but they are often polluted with contaminants methylmercury, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBā€™s) and dioxins which can be source of fish oil side effects. Of all different omega oil sources, the fish based oils are worst.

Benefits of Coconut oil for dogs

Even coconut oil for dogs and related supplements have omega fatty acids they are not the good option in dog nutrition. Coconut oil does not contain Omega-3 fatty acids. Coconut oil contains lots of unhealthy saturated fat which can raise bad cholesterol levels, clog the arteries and increases the risk of heart disease (source). Of course there are health benefits of coconut oil for dogs but benefits of coconut oil are not scientifically proven as widely as other essential fatty acid sources. There might be other uses for coconut oil until we get more scientific and real world information about the uses and benefits of coconut oil for dogs.

Benefits of Hemp seed oil

Hemp seed oil for dogs is an excellent source of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids and GLA (precursors to DHA, EPA). Hemp seed oil is derived from the seed of the female hemp plant (Cannabis sativa) and it has very high nutritional values along with omega oils. For those who wonder, hemp seed oil is 100% free of THC (narcotic ingredient) and trans-fatty acids. The dogā€™s body can convert ALA to EPA and DHA, however, hemp seed oil contains stearidonic acid (SDA) which improves the conversion to EPA easier. Hemp seed oils are best fatty acids sources in dog nutrition. Hemp seed oil does not contain toxic contaminants which are often found in fish oils and in other dog supplements.

Hemp seed oil benefits over the krill oil and fish oil:

Hemp seed oil provides the ideal 2-3:1 balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids.
Hemp seed oil is free of trans-fatty acids
ALA to EPA and DHA conversion is better
Hemp seed oil does not contain toxins found in fish oils
Hemp seed oil has a pleasant nutty flavour
Only plant containing vitamin D
Contains vitamin E
Example hemp seed oil product

Fatty acid composition of different omega oil sources

Type
LA (omega-6)
per 100gr
ALA (omega-3) per 100gr
EPA (omega-3) per 100gr
DHA (omega-3) per 100gr
Fish Oils (average cod, halibut, mackerel, rockfish and salmon oils) 1,2 0,9 9,9 12,8
Fish Liver Oil (Atlantic Cod) 1,5 0,9 8 14,3
Shellfish Oil (Pacific Oyster) 1,2 1,6 21,5 20,2
Cashew Oil 16 0,4
Peanut Oil 29 1,1
Pumpkin SeedOil 51 0
Sesame Seed Oil 42 0,5
Sunflower Oil 53 0
Coconut Oil 3 0
Flaxseed Oil 15 55
Olive Oil 9 0,7
Avocado Oil 12,5 1
Macadamia Nut Oil 1,5 1,5
Corn Oil 57 0,8
Cottonseed Oil 48 0,4
Soybean Oil 53 7
Walnut Oil 62 4
Wheat Germ Oil 54 7
Hempseed Oil 55,2 20
Beef Tallow (grain-fed beef source) 4 0,7
Chicken Fat 17 1,1
Lard 10 1,4
Mutton Fat 5 2,9
Partly composed from Weight of the Evidence, author Regina Wilshire.

Conclusion

All of them, fish oil, krill oil, coconut oil and hemp seed oil for dogs contain the essential fatty acids which we have been talking about here. Hemp seed oil is the clear winner over the fish oil and krill oil. Whenever possible, buy products which are composed from hemp seed oil, this way you can ensure the optimal balance of fatty acids without ethical issues and health risks from toxins. We all want the best for our dogs and therefore always try to obtain dog supplements where oil source is hemp seed oil. Avoid cheap pet supplies which says they are ā€œfish oil for dogsā€ or ā€œsalmon oil for dogsā€. Those are worst supplies for your pets nutrition, these cheap and unhealthy products are advertised with fatty acids benefits but their composition is very poor. different omega oil sources makes the difference!

Most Reactions